Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 PM

Default Great Trip, Tough Fishing

We headed up to CS 39 for an overnight trip. My youngest bailed on us at the last minute, so it was just me and my oldest son. The hike up to CS 39 went by a lot faster than we expected. I guess we were awed by the beauty. The water was high and fast all the way up. We set up camp, had some lunch, and I set out fishing around the camp. Like I said before, the water was so high and so fast, it was tough fishing. I left my 5wt at home and my 3wt was not cut out for throwing heavy nymphs, so I just used a dry. I found a few holes where the water was not crazy and managed to briefly hook a nice rainbow, before he spit the fly. The next hole, I actually landed a pretty little brookie, about 5 or 6 inches. I debated on whether or not to take a pic, but by the time I decided to get the net, it shook itself off. I figured, no big deal, I would get a few more. Well, nothing, not even a strike for the rest of the afternoon and all the next morning. We went up Palmer Creek and it was all blown out as well. We still a great time, endured a really cold night in our hammocks for the first time, and saw elk, which was cool. Thanks to everyone for the help, we will be back, hopefully when the water is more normal. This looks like an awesome stream.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:16 AM

Smile

Great report. Thanks for posting for us

High water is really tough, and makes me glad I can kayak when the water is up.

In real estate it was location, location, location! With trout fishing it seems to be Conditions, conditions, conditions Seems this year Mother Nature doesn't want to give the trout fisherman a break

Come back in a month when the water is down and it's warmer and I'm sure you'll put a hurtin' on them