Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-05-2013, 07:03 AM

Post Clinch River [Bug Pics]

If anyone is interested in seeing some of the latest insect pictures coming off the Clinch River; check out my FB-Clinch River Page. I try and update it weekly.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinc...454?ref=stream

• Update: 06/18/13

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 06-18-2013 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: Update" 6/18/13
Old 04-05-2013, 10:56 AM

thanks for the info. It is really appreciated. Glad you let us know.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 PM

Shawn;

Is the second bug a caddis pupa?

If so; did you squeeze it out of a case or was that how you captured it?

Danny B. Ties a really awesome caddis pupa that I saw on his FB; actually scary good but I don't know his recipe... it looks like the second bug you show above.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Shawn;

Is the second bug a caddis pupa?

If so; did you squeeze it out of a case or was that how you captured it?

Danny B. Ties a really awesome caddis pupa that I saw on his FB; actually scary good but I don't know his recipe... it looks like the second bug you show above.
Richard,
I actually found this one free-flowing in the water.

I thought caddis but actually think it might be a small crane fly larva or some type of beetle larva...(?) If anyone has any suggestions; please post them.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:17 PM

Does look to me like a crane fly. Caddis should have long legs showing I think. Would be a very small crane fly - I've seen them the size of my pinkie.

steve
Old 04-08-2013, 04:59 PM

And incidentally, a Sawyers Killer Bug is a perfect imitation.

steve
Old 04-09-2013, 06:01 AM

Shawn;

Actually tied some flies to match the mystery nymph...

Fished Nance's yesterday afternoon (no hatch, no risers) and found that my "new flashies" in red krystal flash work pretty well. Blue also worked

I had most luck with OPAL TINSEL abdomen, lemon WD tail, OPAL tinsel wing case and Ice dub thorax in peacock with gold bead....

Going to tie up a bunch of parachute mayflies with OPAL abdomin and dubbed thorax... I'm lovin OPAL tinsel and hope you all give it a go... or don't. LOL

Also gonna tie & try some CDC emergers with OPAL abdomin and just a whisper of zelon or SLF shuck. Did very well last April/May with TAN dub & CDC "emergers" size 14 on Holston; wonder what will happen with OPAL.

Lastly need to tie some Craig Matthew's ZELON MIDGES as I'm out of them; they are easy enough to tie but I have trouble with the wings with my battered up fingers
Old 04-09-2013, 06:52 AM

That is a caddis larvae, that one will someday turn into the little Black caddis we see later in the summer. I don't know why it was free floating, other than maybe it wanted to go for a ride
Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
That is a caddis larvae, that one will someday turn into the little Black caddis we see later in the summer. I don't know why it was free floating, other than maybe it wanted to go for a ride

Thanks Jim for the input! I really was not sure about that one.

I am finding a good selection and variety of bugs on the river this year.

I hope that is a positive indication of how it will fish.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 PM

I tied up a few nymphs to match Shawn's mystery Caddis and fished them on the Holston today; landed several fish and broke off two.... one got a good size chunk of my leader and now has about 30 inches of leader with an indicator trailing behind. Also got fish with my "sulphur" nymph that has Lemon WD tail and squirrel/antron dub, PT wingcase and Lemon WD legs.

Bad luck today with ORVIS MIRAGE once again.... I do get more hook-ups but also get a higher percentage of popped tippet.... there seems to be no good knot for attaching flouro carbon to nylon, even the "orvis knot" sucks. Starting to wonder about using furled leaders with a loop to loop connection to flouro tippets and a bimini....

Saw the most enormous brown trout swipe my indicator on two occasions today; switched to a dry and floated over the area a dozen times to no avail... then threw streamers through the area with no takers.... usually catch fish on streamers there but so far this year no takers on the meaty stuff.

There were no rising fish at all but did see a handfull of caddis about 6PM with a few midges.

maybe a sneak over to the Clinch tomorrow morning.

Some dry fly action would be pleasant.