Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 PM

Default Trout Feeding Stations

Just a question from an average to below average fly fisherman...

I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is regarding prime lies that are on the side of a stream that is fished often or are subject to frequent encounters with people. Do trout tend to "permanently" avoid these feeding stations because of the frequent proximity to humans? It seems like when I catch a trout, it is always on the other side of the stream or in the center. I'm sure I spook my fair share of fish, but I try to be careful; so that is what prompted this question.

Thanks in advance for any comments!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:12 AM

Unhappy

I have that same problem...it is a fishing paradox actually. When you see people fishing in boats, they are casting to the shoreline. When you see people on the shoreline, they are chunking it as far out as they can...it seems the fish are always opposite of where you are.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:51 AM

If we are talking "Smokies" fishing, my personal experience indicates that the fish do not avoid those lies but may be more cautious than their counterparts across the stream. In general, I think fish become conditioned to look in one direction for "danger." I have walked up on holes both in the Smokies and around the country where fish will spook as soon as your head peeks over the top of the bank. If you approach from the other side you have a much better shot at getting close. Those fish have learned to watch the commonly fished bank...

Fishing the "other" side is a great strategy during peak season when lots of fishermen are out and about. During the summer I worked at LRO, I would often head up to fish Elkmont after work in the evenings. Knowing that the water was usually fished to death during the day, I would always fish up the far bank and in this way still catch lots of trout. Most other fishermen thought that the fishing (or should I say catching) was poor since the fish on the near bank were spooked after the first fisherman of the day passed by...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-11-2013, 04:34 PM

I fish quite a few wild streams that aren't fished that much. but have hiking trails right down either side.. I always try to fish opposite the foot
traffic. just seems the right thing to do...and catch many fish from side the trail is on near the banks.
Fishhead
Old 04-11-2013, 05:37 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks guys. David - I am referring to the Smokies "typical" stream (if there is such a thing). Good examples are Tremont and Elkmont where the road parallels the stream. What you indicate makes a lot of sense. I guess the other concern is if you spook fish on the near side of the stream where it may be narrow, that fish may in turn put down other fish in the general area, unless it's "bolt hole" is nearby.

From my limited experience, it seems that being sneaky and fishing the proper depth (with nymphs or droppers) are very key to catching a trout (assuming a good drift is presented).

All of the photos on this board sure make it seem easy, but either I'm in dire need of more talent or its not easy!

“You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for a buck fifty in late charges at the public library.” – Will Hunting (played by Matt Damon), Good Will Hunting