Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-16-2013, 02:44 PM

Default U.V. lights

I'm working on several patterns that call for a drop of epoxy on top of the wing case. I have never used epoxy but when I watch demonstrations I always see a u.v. light used to quick dry the resin.

Does anyone have experience enough to speak to whether or not epoxy can be air dried ?

How user friendly are u.v. lights drying epoxy ?

c.v.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:04 PM

I think you're talking aabout 2 different products - old style epoxy and the new UV clear cure goo stuff. The UV lights work with the new products but you do air-dry the old style epoxy.

steve
Old 04-17-2013, 02:08 PM

Default old style

Thanks Stonefly

Is this the 5 minute version sold at Lowe's ? I have never used epoxy, usually just pull the foil over and tie it in but would like to use a bubble.
c.v.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:14 PM

Default 5 min epoxy

I'm sure it will work just fine. There are several brands of 5min epoxy "Devcon 5min epoxy" being one example. They sometimes come in a two cylinder syringe (resin and hardener respectively) I've used 5min epoxy for some time but have very recently converted to "Clear GOO" which is cured with a UV light (there are other brands) for no other reason than it is so easy to work with.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:15 PM

I have used Tuffleye (last time I was in LRO they had it), Loon UV and Clear Cure Goo.

If you have the means and are even thinking of using epoxy I strongly recommend it.

It will change your life
Old 04-17-2013, 06:51 PM

I use the regular 5 minute epoxy from any craft store because it is cheap. The Clear Cure Goo stuff looks awesome but is a bit pricey...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 PM

Epoxy doesn't really dry, it hardens via a chemical reaction. That reaction can be initiated via either a chemical catalyst (hardener) or a UV light catalyst.

Hook and Hackle sell three 5 gram tubes of SolarEZ UV cured resin for $7.50 total. Their UV light sells for only $13. The light will also harden Clear Cure Goo and Loon's Knot Sence and perhaps others. Their own light's may work better, but H&H's light is certainly adequate for them.

http://store.hookhack.com/Fly-Tying-...epartments/28/
Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 AM

Having played with epoxy for many years....

Don't tie up more than you will use THIS SEASON... Virtually every epoxy "mix" (meaning 2-part) I have tried turns brown within a year... I no longer use it very often.

If you are using it to place a drop on the wing-case I find a strip of flash works better.

SOFTEX is a product I use to coat the bodies of some flies; like my cord-body bunny flies.

SOFTEX remains pliable, is durable and it doesn't yellow or turn brown with age. I recently gave some of these flies to TROUTMAN that were tied several years ago and they looked brand-new.

SOFTEX will also get you stoned unless used in a well ventilated area; I do it outdoors. HUFFERS would love it... LRO may have it; ORVIS sells it.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:49 PM

Yes, it is Clear Cure Goo, expensive but worth every penny. It is a UV Resin.

ALSO if you get the Clear Cure Goo, get a UV curing light off EBay for $10 don't spend the $30 in the store that they charge. They sell the kit for $50 that comes with the Thick and Thin Goo.