Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 04-22-2013, 03:12 PM

Question Rod Flex Choice

I'm considering a 4wt rod of 7' or 7.5' primarily for small stream mountain fishing. After reading the merits of both full-flex and mid-flex designs, I'm uncertain which way to go in the selection process. In the past, I simply fished with what I have and never thought about the flex design, but a good choice might make casting more enjoyable. Any rod choices and flex combination favored for the Smokies?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:35 PM

You will get a lot of personal opinions on this one, but it really boils down to what you want and feel comfortable casting. I have fished everything from full flex to tip flex (slow to fast) rods and depending on the application enjoy each one. My personal favorite for the mountains and especially small streams is an 8' 4 wt with a nice sloooow action (full flex). Again, this is just personal preference. Stop by Little River Outfitters and ask Daniel to set up a couple different rods with different actions and see what you think.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-22-2013, 05:59 PM

small mountain streams i like a mid to full flex. I personally love the scott g2 7' 7" 3wt. for larger streams I like a 9ft mid flex like the sage ll or even a scott g2. just my thoughts.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:02 PM

Thumbs up Rod Flex

David is right-on with his advice. LRO will let you try a couple and not lead you wrong.

Hal M
Old 04-24-2013, 05:51 PM

I have several rods from a 6'6" 2 wt to a 9' 5 wt. To echo the above, my 8' 4 wt is my go to rod almost always. Doesn't miss a beat on the smaller water (Porters Branch, Gee Creek, Meadows Branch, Sycamore Creek). Same rod just yesterday was able to roll cast a sz 8 muddler across the MPLR just above the turn off to Elkmont. Versatile rod length / weight. It is the troutbum model which was rated as a mid flex superfine. It rated a 6 on the flex index, so just barely mid flex, my two other full flex superfines rate at 5.5. Pretty sure the newer SF Touch 8' 4 wt is slowed up a "touch" but am sure it will perform as above.

Dave
Old 04-25-2013, 02:14 PM

DK is spot on. It really is all opinions based on personal preference. Find a fly shop like LRO and try out some rods to form your own opinion on what you like. Since we are talking opinions, I love my 8'9" finesse rods in the mountains which have a nice 'soft' mid flex. Don't get too caught up on flex, just see what feels right.

Now, rod length is a whole different can of worms. If you feel that you need a small rod to fish the streams in the smokies then go ahead and do it... I don't but that is my preference. I prefer to put some distance between me and the fish, keep good control on my line, execute flawless drifts and ultimately put more fish in the net. Just my opinion on rod length...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwardmba View Post
It is the troutbum model which was rated as a mid flex superfine. It rated a 6 on the flex index, so just barely mid flex, my two other full flex superfines rate at 5.5. Pretty sure the newer SF Touch 8' 4 wt is slowed up a "touch" but am sure it will perform as above.
Make sure not to generalize Orvis rod flex ratings as they are not consistent from one rod to another. The SFT 8' 4wt. is indeed a nice little rod but again, best advice is to actually cast them to see how they feel as opposed to one's flex rating.

Tight Lines,
Old 04-25-2013, 10:16 PM

All good advice newbie guy

Here's why... if you are fishing small waters, short casts type of situation you would find a tip flex difficult to accurately present a fly as it requires MORE line weight to bend.

The fly goes opposite the direction of the bend so you want something that will "load up" with less line out of the rod tip.

Also; new casters usually find that more flex helps them "feel" the loading of the rod and helps them "know" when to "stop & start".

That said I personally fish a tip-flex most all the time even on my 2 weight but I fish tailwaters 99 percent of the time.