Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 04-29-2013, 04:20 PM

I have a professional 9ft 6wght and use it for all my smallmouth and fall fishing. It was the only rod I used on my last trip to Yellowstone also. It is a good all around rod. I also wouldnt think twice for saltwater reds and trout on a less windy day.
Lynn
Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 PM

I have a 9 ft. 8 wt. BVK with a Lamson Litespeed 3.5 that I've fished for Steelhead with. Its a great Rod and combo! An 8 wt. might you give you more versatility than a 7 wt.? Just my 2 cents worth! Good luck!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. Anybody who whats to fish in central AL (Lake Martin area, North of Montgomery), I'll take you out on my 22 ft center console. Also if you want any info on salmon/steelhead fishing in western Washington, just let me know.

Sterling
brothsa @ aol .com
Old 04-30-2013, 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=ruggerfly;105916] Also if you want any info on salmon/steelhead fishing in western Washington, just let me know.

I'd love to see some posts on fishing in Washington, ideally with photos!

steve
Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 PM

The TiCrx TFO are great rods . I have used them from Alabama to Alaska. Cought lots of Salmon and Bass with them. Through heavy flies very well.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 PM

I have been lazy about posting, so here are photos from my trip to Washington in September last year (king & silver salmon). Pics are worth a thousand words.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 AM

Very nice fish. The professional series rods would be a lot of fun with fish that size. Still if money doesn't matter look hard at the sage 1 rod in a 7 or 8 wt. That's going to be my next purchase probably.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggerfly View Post
Just looking for opinions about TFO BVK & Professional 8-9 wt rods (8--9 ft). I typically like a more medium action rod, but I am willing to listen to all opinions (I'll cast before buying--I'll use it for salmon, striper, & reds). Price is not a big factor (so if there is another brand you really like, then list it). Just wanting a new rod for larger fish.
Sterling
I will start by saying that I like TFO rods and actually own several. However, I would not recommend either rod you mentioned for chasing species like salmon and stripers. As others have suggested, the TiCrX is a much better option although it can get rather heavy in an 8wt or 9wt. I was actually just talking with Rick Pope this weekend and he was showing me the new Mangrove series rods. The 8wt is really light and built with the same TiCrX toughness. I'd describe it as a faster medium flex/almost full tip flex. It sure can lay out some line though. Would be great for reds as well! Might want to have a look...

Now, my salmon rod of choice that can deal with whatever punishment you throw at it, is the Echo Ion. I fully endorse this rod when chasing fish that are known for their rod breaking power like salmon, stripers and tarpon. Might really want to have a look at one of these...

Tight Lines,
Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 AM

I just purchased a Thomas and Thomas 7 wt helix that is very sweet. First cast with it put backing through every guide. Beautiful looks and design and cast like a dream. Just another thought you might want to look into