Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-28-2013, 02:36 PM

Default flyfishing over memorial day weekend

Well let me start by saying that this isn't a great report like most other people have but it is what it is. My wife and I decided to make a trip to the mountains thursday through monday. I got up sick as a dog and went to dr for shots and meds. After driving on up anyway all I could do was go to bed. On friday morning we decided to ride the roaring for trail. My head was so stopped up and throat sore I didnt want to move. After getting around the trail a piece I stopped and put on some waders and boots, grabbed the 3wt scott and went on in. In 45 minutes I had brought 8 to hand all on dry flies. The moister and coolness opened up my breathing and i felt alive. If any of you ever fish roaring fork you know that the fish tend to go on the small side in these waters. I caught one around 7 inches and got in the truck and went on to enjoy the rest of the day on sinus meds and shopping.

Saturday I sent the wife and mother in law off to dollywood and I went over to townsend. After casting a very sweet 6 wt one rod I headed out to the water. I fished a stretch of water below sugar land visitor center headed back towards gatlingburg. Still not feeling good I thought well it beats being at dollywood. I fished that stretch for around 2 hours. No rises no takes. I have never done good on that type of water in the smokies. Bigger water like that really owns me. Any suggestions?

On monday we started out and i went back down the roaring for trail. Fished lower section this time and was getting my tail end whipped for awhile. Finally after no luck on stimulators or tellicos or pmx's I went to a adams and started picking up fish. I fished around 2 hours and had to call it aday. Now back at work still sick but I did enjoy even if it was not the stellar trip I had planned for
Old 05-28-2013, 09:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

that's a tough stretch below sugar lands. There are possible fewer trout per mile in that stretch than any other in the park. Ive caught some stockers through there a few wild fish and the occasional small mouth...go on up the road only a mile or so next time, pull in a quiet walk way... you will do better..
Old 05-29-2013, 10:16 AM

Will do 2weightfavorite. I didn't know if it was me or what. I didn't even see fish Thanks for the reply on the post
Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 AM

my son and i went down one of the quiet walkways up the road from sugarlands back in April. we caught several there. Glad you still got time on the water even if you didn't feel well.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:48 PM

I agree with the suggestions of getting to the water via one of the quiet walkways - - have had some success myself.

I don't intend to hijack FlyRed's thread but thought I'd add a few lines about my Memorial Day weekend "feeshin" efforts. Spent a couple hours Friday afternoon knocking the rust off my casting / drift-control and getting back some timing on setting a hook on those lightning fast wild trout strikes - - landed several 'bows about 5 inches down from the Institute and missed about twice that many. Similar results on Saturday with a couple long-distance releases (ha ha), but above the Institute (had to stay close to Townsend "home base" because of other activities), including a couple war-paint shiners about 4 inches. Sunday was better, even though Tremont was "lousy" with fly-flingers - - a couple 5-6 inchers to hand and 1 about 8 inches - - all 'bows this time.

Saw a t-shirt in Jackson last fall that seemed to come to mind several times over the weekend (no sacrilege intended): I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.

FishStu
Old 05-29-2013, 05:00 PM

Flyred, sorry to hear you got so sick after making the trek up here. I also fished on Saturday in the park. Yes, I do sometimes leave the tiger stripe bass alone and head to the mtns for some "Fish with Spots" , as Corbo would say!
I hiked up all the way to Starkey creek confluence and fished back for Specs.
It has been about 2 years since going up there and probably will be a long time till I go back. once the main trail ends , it becomes more of a "game trail" and it is pretty overgrown with new weeds and forest undergrowth, and fallen trees and tree limbs. makes for difficulty in staying on the old walking path .
I know no one was ahead of me, with all the cobwebs and undisturbed pathway. We used to go up there a lot for acid deposition sampling.
I caught brookies, maybe 10-12 in about 4 hours, but it was tough fishing. not in the way of it being difficult to approach and cast a pool, but rather the fish were just not biting as I would have expected in an area that sees very few. pools you would expect to hold several fish would produce not a single rise. The fish themselves I did catch were small, more like I would expect from some of easier to reach places. I think the largest was about 8" and caught several very juvenile specs also. Not the ones I expected after all the restoration work to help them grow without the rainbows to compete against.

I think the fact the cold front moved in again last friday and was cold overnight and sat. morning, and the moon was full, I think it affected the fish and slowed down the bite for everyone.
Well, Hope your feeling better now and can make another trip back for some redemption. I did get to see a ruffed grouse on the trail on the way out. I've heard them many times but never saw one in the park.