Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 AM

Default First timer advice needed...

My new son-in-law and daughter are meeting us in Gatlinburg this weekend. He is an avid bass fisherman, but has never cast a fly rod in his life. Where would you take a first timer in the area so there is less likely to be frustrations with learning how to fish for trout?

Normally I would be up the Little River trail, or a few miles up Tremont, but I am thinking the trees and tight quarters are not the best for first time. I am thinking about staying in the town and fishing the stocked WPLP since that might be easier, plus it gives him a somewhat realistic chance at catching something. I have never fished in the city limits, so I have no idea if its good or not. I just read they stock it every Thursday.

Advice appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:01 AM

Smile Roaring fork

I've not been fishing long myself, so I like smaller streams where a few feet of line plus the leader is enough. Roaring fork is right next to Gatlinburgh but doesn't get a lot of pressure. I just flip and high stick a couple nymphs and usually do pretty good. Good luck where ever you go
Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 AM

Roaring Fork is a neat little stream....best stretch is the lower end...pull off after the last bridge with a couple of trees...be warned that this is not a stretch to fish in high water since there are 2-3 places that require you to mtn. goat around some spots...if the water is still high try the little stream that runs behind Park HQ...start fishing where it crosses under LR road...any bead head nymph run thru some of the little deep runs will end up being eaten....size of fish for this water may surprise you....good luck and let us know how you did
Old 04-30-2013, 09:59 AM

He might not want to learn to cast in the middle of the people in Gburg. Yep it is stocked but it also full of folks who will stop to watch. Agree that if water permits roaring fork might be a good idea
Old 04-30-2013, 03:40 PM

I would teach him how to roll cast and take him to Jakes Creek or to where the river runs through the campground at Elkmont. It's probably the easiest water I've found to fish in the park and I always catch on or two.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. My experience in the park is limited to Abrams, Little River, Tremont, Oconaluftee, and Bradley Fork. Probably know Bradley better than any other of those. Don't have time to take him over the mountain to learn.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 AM

Greenbrier up past the Ramsey cascade bridge would be my first suggestion. Easy wading lots of fish and pretty easy casting. That's where I started out at.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:39 AM

Default Free Maps

$3Bridge, I suggest you not rule out Lower West Prong Little Pigeon accessible at one of the Quiet Walkways off Newfound Gap Rd (US 441) just above Sugarlands. Free download of maps of streams mentioned and more are available. See littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16574 .
Thanks for introducing a new angler the sport and have a great trip.
– JF
Old 05-01-2013, 11:41 AM

Been emailing back and forth with son-in-law this morning. He wants to go where the best opportunity is to catch and keep fish (I will have to work on his conservation / catch and release ethic a bit), as he wants to take a few fish back to the cabin to cook. So since that is what he wants to do, we will do Gatlinburg together, as I would never keep a native park fish.

So all that being said and narrowed down, best spots recommended for in the city fishing? Hey, at least my wife and daughter will be happy that they can drop us off and pick us up.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $3Bridge View Post
Been emailing back and forth with son-in-law this morning. He wants to go where the best opportunity is to catch and keep fish (I will have to work on his conservation / catch and release ethic a bit), as he wants to take a few fish back to the cabin to cook. So since that is what he wants to do, we will do Gatlinburg together, as I would never keep a native park fish.

So all that being said and narrowed down, best spots recommended for in the city fishing? Hey, at least my wife and daughter will be happy that they can drop us off and pick us up.
The only fish 'native' to the park are the brookies... and even in the most pressured streams, most of the trout are overpopulated - leading to smaller fish size, stress on resources, which can lead to a bigger problem than someone keeping a few from in the park.

Someone help me out with the average? 3000 trout/river mile? Even if he keeps a limit of 5 (which in the first time flyfishing isn't too likely) he won't even make a dent in that.

But to each his own.