Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 AM

Default Back to Bluelining

5/14/2013 UPDATE: Please see Post #5.

Future editions of my Park stream maps will not include color coding of individual streams. Instead each map will have notes about what species of fish are found within the waters covered. I decided the change was necessary given that I had mistakenly assumed the application of the trout distribution information provided to me by NPS Fisheries had been fully reviewed in the past by all those involved. But, hey, you folks can just pick you up some highlighter pens at OfficeMax and record your own data, right?

As I've said many times in the past, I truly appreciate everyone's kind words about our labor of love and suggestions for improvements and I especially appreciate Byron, Paula and Daniel of Little River Outfitters for being so gracious in permitting us to use the forum to help spread the word on how accessible the great waters are to future anglers and... to help us pay our bills.

Last edited by JoeFred; 05-14-2013 at 12:33 PM..
Old 05-09-2013, 08:41 AM

Smile

I personally like the color coding. I understand it may be a PITA, and I know I've personally found some inconsistanties, but I think it's a key feauture to your maps.

What were you misinterpreting? I know the 9 inch Brookie I caught with Crockett above Eagle Rocks got Mr. Kulp's attention?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:55 AM

Ducky, you give way too much credit for insights as it relates to size, which "matters" of course.

For any who may have overlooked it, there is a trout distribution graphic on page 415 of Jim Casada's book, Fly Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park: An Insider's Guide to A Pursuit of Passion. It is pretty much the extent of the data I requested and was provided... in a larger "size" of course. (I don't think Jim would mind me sharing his disappointment in how the printing of the graphic turned out).

Mr. Casada's book can be purchased through the Official Park Store. The Store is managed by Great Smoky Mountains Association, which "supports the perpetual preservation of Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the national park system by promoting greater public understanding and appreciation through education, interpretation, and research." Support for the Association comes primarily from sales of educational products and from membership dues. More GSMA info.

The book can also be purchased through Jim's web site and Little River Outfitters.

Last edited by JoeFred; 05-09-2013 at 10:44 AM..
Old 05-09-2013, 04:52 PM

JF,

As you know I have all 44 of your maps, thanks to the wonderful USB stick I purchased from LRO. I find myself looking at your maps on a weekly basis even when I an not in the process of planning a trip. Since I am working on a trip next weekend, I find that I am studying two of your maps on a daily basis making plans.

I do appreciate the fish color coding, but understand if you must remove it for some reason. As we all know, the trout don't know where their territory ends, and therefore we should expect to see some variation on a seasonal basis. I am sure that whatever the revision brings, it will be a fantastic product just like everything else you have produced.

I heard a rumor that you were working on a set of maps for hiking that included additional details. Can confirm if it is true?

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 PM

PLEASE SEE UPDATE BELOW.

Thanks, Travis. I'm happy you are enjoying your maps and your... Smokies.

The change is to indicate in a more basic way the species present in the coverage of each map making use of custom pictograms placed in proximity to the drainage area(s) to which they would apply. (See pictogram combinations and a snip from an example map at the bottom of post.)

Yes, Travis, thanks for asking. I am planning a set of streamside trail maps (20 or so) that can made mobile or be printed at high res on letter size inkjets. Design will likely begin in earnest in July with updates on the project status reported on www.facebook.com/saintclairmapping and possibly regional forums focused on hiking and photography. Certain of the fishing stream maps will be the better choice for backcountry camping.

5/14/2013 UPDATE:
Due to significant pushback about going to the black & white pictogaphs only (above), the format below will be used. Although not apparent from the particular graphic chosen, we are pulling way back on the extent of some of the ranges previously used (including dropping out many small tribs entirely) and instread basing the color coding on input from multiple sources with whom I am personally aquainted, including... yours truly's experience... whenever I can get out there.

Last edited by JoeFred; 05-14-2013 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: Added update about a new alternative. Deleted R&R reference.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:20 PM

Thumbs down Uhhhh. Not so fast my friend

Please see the updated post before this one.