Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 PM

Question Watauga River

Do any of ya'll that live up near the Watauga have any idea when TVA will stop spilling water and stop the 2 generators ? I know it's a shot in the dark , but I'm planning a fishing trip in that area next Monday and Tuesday.

Mike
Old 05-09-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g022271 View Post
Do any of ya'll that live up near the Watauga have any idea when TVA will stop spilling water and stop the 2 generators ? I know it's a shot in the dark , but I'm planning a fishing trip in that area next Monday and Tuesday.

Mike
If you go to the website and click on the link for graphs of the lake elevations/flood stages you can get a pretty good idea when they will back off. IMO as soon as the reservoir gets just below full pool they will back off, and with a week or dry weather hopefully headed our way, it may be okay next weekend, but certainly not this weekend.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:42 AM

Mike,
I feel your pain bud. Mihai is in town for ten-days and it looks like bad timing. I agree with Jim's assumption on the water release schedule. I usually check the trend guide and try to gauge how much the water is going down per day to get around full pool. Then; hope we do not get any more monsoons.

However; I have a good feeling about the Clinch this year! It seems to me that the weir being closed down has helped create a no-fishing/stress zone for the fish and the sulphurs are thick in the vegetation.
I think TWRA should have this on the Clinch every year for a trout (brown in particular) spawn period - closing up past clear creek's inflow to the Clinch.

We may fish in NC if you want to join us...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-10-2013, 09:27 AM

I heard the lake was at record levels due to all the rain and flooding they had in NC last week. Sorry to say, but it could be a while if we get any more rain.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:15 PM

When I was there last weekend, the lake was way above summer pool level and it rained a lot more Sunday and Monday I think.