Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-15-2013, 10:55 AM

Default Last Night in the Smokies

Last night Thunderhead8 and I headed up after work for the evening hatch and so I could continue to try to convert him to the ways of Tenkara instead of that shiny Winston he continues to use. No luck there he calls it Terryaki fishing! I thought I was on to something with this first one on a green weenie I had tied and put on a dropper under a large high vis Adams.

Than these two guys show up with no equipment or license and jumped straight into our hole!

Than they fished right in front of us and I'm not sure but I think they laughed at Thunderhead8 and continued up stream. Very cool!

We were in the middle of the nightly hatch, but saw no rises to the occasion, the last few weeks I have done best using anything but the hatch, no clue, maybe water temp or I am just inherently unqualified!

Photo credit for the otter shots goes to Thunderhead8 who got some great shots even as they taunted him. All in all big fun for a Tuesday night and we are always grateful to have the Smokies for a back yard.

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 05-15-2013, 12:21 PM

Cool report! Where did you see the otters?
Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 PM

If Bigsur was fishing where I think he was fishing, I had the same two otters run me out of the hole. Let's just say it was between Metcalf and Elkmont.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:51 PM

Senator, I will neither confirm nor deny my location and will exercise my right to the Fifth amendment, but I can tell you these were not Disney characters or cute ferret size! They were about the size of a small beaver, slick as seals and healthy as pigs as you can see from the one in fronts side view of his belly. The cool part was the sounds they made it reminded me of baby birds chirping to each other my guess was they were saying "Should we eat these two old fat men or let'em roll?" while laughing at us!

Last edited by bigsur; 05-15-2013 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Tennesse spelliing issues :)
Old 05-15-2013, 02:21 PM

I agree. Assuming we were in the same place, the two otters I saw were big enough that when they started swimming around me I actually got out of the water to let them have room. They seemed a little perturbed that I was in their way. When they passed I got back in and kept fishing.

I was there two weeks ago on Friday evening and the hatch(s) were spectacular. There were March Browns, Yellow Sallies, and Light Cahill coming off at the same time. The trout were eating them up, but still had a hard time getting them to take any of my yellow flies. I tried a Light Cahill and that did the trick. It was a great evening for fishing.

Tight lines!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:46 PM

Smile

Nothing like feeling at home, and like you know what you are doing, only to have a couple of locals show you up

I bet these guys could even give David Knapp a run for the money

Otters steal your honey hole, and the rainbow you do catch takes a crap on you Just can't win them all

Thanks for the report
Old 05-15-2013, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the info. We are actually trying to get a research project started up on the distribution/diet/numbers/impact of the otters in the park. When it gets up and running, I just set up an email address where people can submit data... GSMNPOtters at gmail. I understand not wanting to put specific locations up on a public forum. When we get our data collection plan finalized, I'll probably post something on here about what info we need, etc. Detailed descriptions and GPS coordinates of possible den locations are going be a must if we are going to be able to get any kind of useful information. Anyway, Thanks for the lead, I may head up that way soon and see if I can find any den sites/latrines/otter sign, etc.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Nothing like feeling at home, and like you know what you are doing, only to have a couple of locals show you up

I bet these guys could even give David Knapp a run for the money

Otters steal your honey hole, and the rainbow you do catch takes a crap on you Just can't win them all

Thanks for the report

Wait a minute! Thunderhead8 told me those were rasins and a gift!