Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-27-2013, 03:49 PM

Default Learning every trip

Newly retired Knoxville native. Learned to fish for rock bass on Coker Creek with a Zebco taught by my father-in-law and always wanted to try fly fishing.

Been to Clinch twice with high water and to LR 3 times. This Sat was 1st time with ideal conditions.

Started about 2:30 and Fished near the bridge above Metcalf bottoms. No feeding going on, but tried a yellow never sink fly with no luck. Switched to green weenie but didnt bring any shot and the fly would not sink low enough to reach fish.

About 4:30 the bugs came out and switched back to several different yellow dry flies with no luck.

Switched back to GW and could see the fish looking up at it. If only had some shot think I would have caught some fish. Saw 2 really big fish in a pool.

I learn something every time I go. Thinking about taking the LRO class later this year. Time is limited as we are keeping our 11 month old grand daughter.

Thanks to LRO for all their help in the store, this web site and everyone who posts help and encouragement here.

Lynnsabcs
Old 05-27-2013, 03:54 PM

Welcome to the sport, Lynabcs. Yes, catchin' takes catchin' on, but it sounds as though you are well on your way.
– JF
Old 05-27-2013, 05:45 PM

I fished the same area on Saturday with my daughter and I caught the same thing you did on some of the same flies, nada. That little area below the bridge is so pretty I don't even mind not catching anything there.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:42 PM

Smile

Welcome to the board. May I suggest you try some smaller water at first. It's hard enough to catch trout in the park when you are first starting out, but complicating it with multiple currents and cross currents, really deep spots, and lots of water can be real frustrating. Also where you fished on Memorial Day weekend probably meant you were on stale water that had already been fished. If your able to hike in a little bit, you will have better chances.

Good luck, and this is a great place to answer your questions. A little over 4 years ago I was in your shoes, and with the help of many fellow forum members finally got the hang of at least a couple aspects of fly fishing (desperately still need streamer help)