Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-19-2013, 07:46 PM

Talking Snowbird Family weekend

My wife had rented our family a cabin on Snowbird creek this weekend so we could relax, goto Joyce Kilmer, do a little fishing, and enjoy a stay in the mountains.

While we had been to this cabin twice before, it was the first time with out twins, and Huck our 2 year old German Shepherd. I was also not a trout fisherman the last two times I stayed there so this stream would be new to me from that perspective. The stream is legendary for high populations of Brookies in the headwaters, Large Browns in the lower miles of Cherokee Forest, and many miles of stocked water below that before it runs into Lake Santeetlah. There is also now a catch and release only section till the confluence of Little Snowbird and Big Snowbird Creek before it again changes to regular requirements. I remembered Grampus Jim telling me a story about a Big Brown he caught one winter (Stream has some huge run ups in the Winter) and decided to text him for some info. While he didn't have much advice as he onlly fished it in the Winter he put me in contact with John Switlow (fellow board member). John told me that golden stoneflies we the primary food source, and was very helpful in pointing out many different locations to fish. Turned out he even owns the cabin next to where we stayed. Small world!

We got to the cabin, and after settling in, it wasn't too long before I was fishing.

Caught this stocker pretty quickly in a sweet pool. The water was high, but decently clear

In a few more minutes I caught this guy

And then nothing. Nothing but tangled tippet. I don't know if the yellowhammer was like a propellar but I have never seen my line so twisted. I eventually cut it off and just went with a nymph. But even that was twisting like crazy

Time to head back to the cabin.

That night it rained, but just enough to stain and bring up the water a bit

I tried to hook this guy, but couldn't get him to even budge

I think this guy may have spooked him

On the hike at Joyce Kilmer, Little Santeetlah looked to be at a nice fishable level. I think I'll be back now that I have my NC licence

Even beauty in the Briers

The doghobble was bloomin'

Will continue
Old 05-19-2013, 08:04 PM

Even a few wild iris were still blooming

As you top the hill the grove of Big Poplars come into view

The boys enjoyed checking out every hole

Thomas checked out the biggest tree while Sam tortured his friend the big ant

It was a long way to the top

Shot my wife hates, but is only shot of my twins at the Twin Poplars. Glad she doesn't read fishing fourms

Nice to be in places never raped by man

First snake of the trip. About 4 feet long. Not sure if it was a regular black snakes or a black racer. He let us pass and stayed still.

The boys were cool and watched from a safe distance. In a few more minutes I saw this guy after my dog just walked over him.

This guy was maybe 20 inches long. I grabbed his tail, and he shoy off in the direction of my wife. One of us thought that was very funny

Went back to the cabin. Rigged up some 4 X with a nymph and a troutbobber. I had bought these many years ago and this was the first time I used one. The water was swift the day before but now was higher and pretty stained

I fished for 30 minutes with no luck, and headed back to the cabin
Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 PM

Me admitting defeat

The dog was having a great time and made friends with the neighbor dog. Even Thomas was pretending to be a dog.

That evening after seeing several yellow sallies I decided to give the fishing a try before dark. While I saw a huge hatch of what at first I thought were yellow sallies, but now realized these were the golden stoneflies that John mentioned. I tried dry fly fishing for 30-40 minutes till it was too dark to see. It was hard to find water to put the dry, and I was only able to catch one

Next morning the river was chocolate milk

Time to enjoy the hot tub (Turned down to 96 for anyone thinking I was cooking my kids)

Packed up the clan and headed back for home. Not the best fishing, but a successful weekend none the less
Old 05-20-2013, 06:03 AM

DP,
Can you email me your cell. I would like to compare notes with you.

By the looks of your family and the smiles it was a priceless weekend!!! You are a Blessed Man!!

Thank You for sharing the trip.

breckdavis100@gmail.com

Breck
Old 05-20-2013, 03:35 PM

DP,

Excellent report and pictures, thanks for taking the time to post your story and trip.

Looking forward to seeing you next week for a day on the water. Looks like you have been building your fishing guide experience nicely.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:40 AM

Thumbs up Snowbird Family Weekend

Wow, very much enjoyed that! Thanks for posting. We'll have to get together sometime and fish over. Can't guarantee any better results, but I can sure show you around. I see you all met Little Dog, did you meet Cooter as well? He is the big yellow lab with the limp. Loves to retrieve tennis balls from the creek. He's my fishing buddy most of the time. As I had said; We've not been able to get over there much at all in the last year and a half, and I miss it. Never take a day for granted with your family.
Thanks again,
John
Old 05-29-2013, 12:29 PM

Awesome report! I've wanted to hit that super up top area on snowbird in search of those brookies... May have to add that to the list.

That snake looks like a VERY large ringneck (if that is actually a yellow band behind the head and not an optical illusion.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:00 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Awesome report! I've wanted to hit that super up top area on snowbird in search of those brookies... May have to add that to the list.

That snake looks like a VERY large ringneck (if that is actually a yellow band behind the head and not an optical illusion.
When you want to go? I was watching a recent video of some boaters who went in from Hooper, and it looks like perfect fishing water.

It was a ring neck. Was 20 inches or so Saw one with Mac & Colby that was playing dead on Sat.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:03 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswitow View Post
Wow, very much enjoyed that! Thanks for posting. We'll have to get together sometime and fish over. Can't guarantee any better results, but I can sure show you around. I see you all met Little Dog, did you meet Cooter as well? He is the big yellow lab with the limp. Loves to retrieve tennis balls from the creek. He's my fishing buddy most of the time. As I had said; We've not been able to get over there much at all in the last year and a half, and I miss it. Never take a day for granted with your family.
Thanks again,
John
John, I'd love to get together anytime. I bet you still know it as well as anyone even without being there much lately. I'd love to be an excuse to get you back out there
Old 09-02-2013, 11:02 PM

Default Snowbird Family Weekend

Ducky,
When we are going to be there a few days, I will try to give you some warning.
Thanks and hope you've had a good summer,
John