Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-28-2013, 09:56 AM

Default Clinch Questions

First question: I was fishing at Millerís Island on Sunday and had ďsomeĒ luck with an Olive Split Case and with a BHPT with a little orange flashing on it. I noticed some insects floating down stream that the fish would quickly gobble up. This bug was cream/light brown in color and sat on the water with its wings up right giving the bug a pyramid appearance. I tried to match this but either I didnít do a good job of matching or the fish were more keyed in on the live bugs because of the movement they were making on the water. I got one strike (which I missed) and that was the only hit I got trying to match that bug. I tried a light Cahill and a sulfur, but the only strike I got was on an elk hair caddis. Any idea what this insect was? They seemed to be closer to the bank as I never saw any float by me and I couldnít get a good look at it.

My second question is in regards to using a strike indicator. I am terrible at using a strike indicator and I know this makes me miss potential hits. I generally catch most fish on the Clinch when my line has reached the dead drift all the way down stream. I donít know if Iíve ever hooked a fish there on a wet fly that was in mid drift. Does everyone use a strike indicator and any pointers would be welcomed. In truth I LOVE dry fly fishing and have done surprisingly well on the Clinch with dry flies but I think I would do twice as well if I were a better nymph fisherman. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:40 AM

About the bug, What size would you say it was? if it was 14-18 I would say it was a sulphur. If you had a picture I could tell you what it was. But really and some others on here will disagree with this comment. But on the Clinch there are really only two kinds of dry fly fishing that are really hatches. 1- Midges, these things are tiny. 20-26 probaly even smaller. the 2nd is the sulphur hatch these are 14-18 size range and have been hatching good from what I hear. They can be a darker brown to almost white, I use a different paterns for them sometime a cdc caparaduns, sometimes sparkleduns, but most of the time just a normal caparadun works fine.
As for catching more fishing under a strike indicator, yes you will catch more! Bottom line, no ifs ands or buts about it. Now the important part, try using a small bit of yarn, I like lefty's secret strike indiacators, comes in a yellow film container and little river sales it. Good stuff, no worst then casting a dry. If you arn't close to them call and order. You'll have it the next day. Also, sounds to me like you're fishing on the 'swing" that's what it's called when your drift is done. Yes, you'll find fish that will eat fishing like this, but if you learn how to dead drift, and mend line you'll catch 10 times as more. Youtube dead drifting and line mending. if there's any kind of drag on you're line they usally won't eat. Drag is where your fly line, drags the line and indicator down the river. Dead drifting is where line indicator and fly is moving same speed as current. Take's a little practice and work but is well worth it! Hope this helps!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:35 PM

Thanks Rodonthefly. I appreciate your quick reply. I would say this bug was a size 16 but it didn't look like a sulphur. The funny thing is that I didn't see any in the air, they were all on top of the water. I watched about ten different times and as soon as the bug started moving as it drifted it was snatched up. It was actually pretty cool to stand and watch. I caught a 15" bow on a blue wind olive of all things, but your right.....it was a size 20 so I try to focus on the small stuff. I'll pull up those Youtube video's on mastering a strike indicator. I probably fish the park 65% of the time and as you know....the Clinch is a stream all on its own.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 PM

Below is a photo of a sulfur spinner I took years ago on the Clinch. As you can see from the picture, this is not a typical pale yellow or orange color associated with sulfurs. The reason for this is because there are various species of sulfur present on the Clinch, and depending on what stage of life they are in the colors can range significantly.

I have also posted a link below to an old blog entry I prepared trying to explain sulfurs as they are a primary food source on both the Clinch and South Holston. The Clinch of course being my home river, and South Holston being probably my favorite destination in TN.

http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com...-sulphurs.html

I have an entire box dedicated to sulfurs. I have flies in three different body colors in sizes 15, 16, 17, & 18. Also, for each of those body colors I have them in two different colors of CDC wing: gray and tan. I have found in some instances the slightest change in color can make all the difference in the world.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-28-2013, 12:52 PM

Hooked, I was in the same position as you just about a month ago. However, I had some decent luck on Saturday and noticed the exact same thing.

Saturday morning, I was using a very yellowish brown Sulphur parachute and had success with it until about 11:30. Note: The entire morning I never really saw a consistent hatch of anything.

Saturday afternoon, I tried to use the exact same set-up I fished that morning. There was a consistent Sulphur hatch that started up and fish were hitting all around me non-stop except they would not touch my fly. I ran into Bigsur and after talking to him, we figured out to go a little bit darker and use something more grey than brown and yellow. That was the trick for me and I was able to catch a few. To me, it was a very small change and almost not enough for me to notice but for the fish, they seemed to notice. I was throwing a 16, FWIW.

I think the density of the hatch coming off and the location you are at on the river can play an important roll. Hope it helps. Each time I go to the river I am learning more and more.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:12 PM

You guys all nailed it......had to be a Sulphur that I saw. I've generally only see the Sulphurs that are a darker yellow but after looking up some pictures I think the wing profile matches the Sulphur for sure. I wouldn't have thought to switch to a darker fly, in fact if anything I would have gone lighter. These are great details to know. I need to make a real effort to work on my use of a strike indicator as well. Thanks to everyone for posting and to ChemEangler I will check out your Blog and pictures. Really some nice work on both accounts. My blog is below but I don't update as often as I should.

http://tnflyguy.blogspot.com/
Old 05-28-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerG10 View Post
Hooked, I was in the same position as you just about a month ago. However, I had some decent luck on Saturday and noticed the exact same thing.

Saturday morning, I was using a very yellowish brown Sulphur parachute and had success with it until about 11:30. Note: The entire morning I never really saw a consistent hatch of anything.

Saturday afternoon, I tried to use the exact same set-up I fished that morning. There was a consistent Sulphur hatch that started up and fish were hitting all around me non-stop except they would not touch my fly. I ran into Bigsur and after talking to him, we figured out to go a little bit darker and use something more grey than brown and yellow. That was the trick for me and I was able to catch a few. To me, it was a very small change and almost not enough for me to notice but for the fish, they seemed to notice. I was throwing a 16, FWIW.

I think the density of the hatch coming off and the location you are at on the river can play an important roll. Hope it helps. Each time I go to the river I am learning more and more.
Try to notice if the rises are sipping or taking them off the top. If they are sipping then when you tie your flies put a little orange dubbing under the tail. This will saturate and help sink the butt but not the front. It has helped me get the ever pesky sippers.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:22 PM

Everyone has already confirmed the sulfur being the bugs you saw, so I will address the indicator nymphing stuff.

Indicators are vital to being succesful on the Clinch consistently along with a perfect dead drift. Plenty of folks catch fish swinging flies and dragging flies, but to really catch good numbers of fish consistently an indicator/dead drift is required.

As Rod stated there is only one indicator IMO and that is Lefty's Yarn, nothing I have tried even comes close to being effective and I wouldn't waste time with any of the other 8 million brands or kinds.

Set your nymph up to ride about 12 inches shallower than the depth of the water, and the most important part of the set up is to have your tippet know located directly below where your indicator is placed. Having your indicator on up the leader in the heavier sections is worthless and will not allow you to get good drifts, good presentations, and will result in poor results.

Historically casting upstream unless you are in riffles is a waste of time on the Clinch no matter if you are fishing dries of nymphs. A good across stream presentation of downstream presentation is by far the best approach. But you have to learn how to dead drift flies by shaking slack line at the same speed as the current or casting and slowly walking the same speed as the current to get the dead drift you need to have consistent success.

On the sulfur fishing stuff, it is a challenging game and as others have stated watch the rise forms. If you see swirls or bulges the fish are generally eating swimming nymphs, and not emergers or adults. If you see a lot of splashy rises or tails they are eating emergers, and if you see noses they are eating adults. Watching the fish for a few seconds can often reveal what pattern they are in, if you watch adults go over a fish with no take, yet the fish is rising in between adults than they are more than likely feeding on emergers or swimming nymphs.

This stuff can get pretty complicated, but over time it will become clearer and don't be afraid to socialize with others on the river as they can generally provide handy tips as to what is going on.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerG10 View Post

Tyler I have attached some pictures of the hatch that was on the Clinch from this past Saturday, I hit the Smokies after the Clinch, Saturday evening (suprisingly no crowd where I go) for a bit of luck with my Tenkara rod and nailed a couple small bows. Hit the Clinch again on Sunday and Monday and got a few more bows, a brown in an area where I never see them and finally yesterday nailed two big bows one I lost right at my feet that broke off and the other I have included a shot of. I did nothing responsible except mow the front yard Sunday night, it was great! (Did anyone else see the I think Osprey working the river dive bombing and grabbing fish from the river truly on the fly?

)

Check out the fly in his mouth! Yellow!!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 05-28-2013, 05:28 PM

Check out this little beauty from Saturday morning.