Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-15-2013, 12:31 AM

Default Finally some fish, after dues were paid

My last three trips to the Smokies had yielded a grand total of 2 fish. Each trip had been affected by rain, freezing cold weather or really high and fast water. That combined with how difficult it is to actually set a hook here had left us frustrated. So when my boys and I pulled into the campground to a torrential thunderstorm, I thought "here we go again". After a rainy night, we really weren't expecting much in the way of fishing today. I guess I just had to pay my dues here. Well after an entire morning of nothing but high, fast water and tough wading, I slipped on a rock and fell all the way in, as in completely soaked and doing the backstroke kind of wet. After my soak, things began to change. I found some slower water where large boulders broke the current and changed to a pink weenie, which my 14 year old son tied for me right before this trip. We ended up with 7 total, which we were really, really excited about. My son caught a nice brown near the campground that I was too slow with the camera on, but it was his first Smokies trout. All were caught on the weenie that my son tied. We are already making plans for our next trip.

First one of the day

This was the hole I caught him in

My biggest one in Smokies so far, he put up a good fight!

Water was high and fast

Nice place to end the trip
Old 06-15-2013, 08:58 AM

Great! So now you really are "hooked..."
Old 06-15-2013, 11:06 AM

In a week or so, this is be one of your favorite trips. The soaking wet and uncomfortable will fade into laughter (especially from your kids) and you will remember all the fish you caught. And when you come for your next trip you will say, "remember how good we did last year?"
Old 06-15-2013, 06:11 PM

Let's give a "pat on the back" to your son for tying the fly that delivered the goods.......good job......glad you had a good trip!!!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:46 PM

Great job! Sometimes paying your dues are what's required. Way to stick with it and catch some nice trout. Congrats to your son as well on tying some fish-catching flies...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-15-2013, 08:44 PM

One word... beetles.
With high water, I love them and usually so do the fish. Might help raise your catch count as well...

Tight Lines,
Old 06-16-2013, 10:05 AM

Got to love catching them on family tied flies
At least the kids did not post a photo of your backstroke floundering
Old 06-16-2013, 06:03 PM

Smile

Nice Stuff! Thanks for posting.

The learning curve on the Smokies can be a little steep at first, but it looks like your now past the hardest part, and in just a few more trips will be landing good numbers

And to be honest the only time I find the pink weenie to be superior to all other droppers is in really high water. Don't know if they can just see it, or what. Most of the time a Pheasant Tail, prince nymph, Tellico, etc are just as good.