Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-03-2013, 01:55 PM

Default Yellowstone Anyone?

I was lucky enough to take a trip to Yellowstone and the Big Horn a couple years ago with some friends who are more experienced fly fishermen. It was an amazing trip. The last week of July I am setting out on another trip to Yellowstone with brother who is new to fly fishing and my brother-in-law. On my last trip I was sort of along for the ride but on this trip Iíll be the only guy with any Yellowstone experience so the burden of trip/stream planning is up to me. I fished the Lamar Valley the last time and due to water temps by late July my guess is that Iíll be fishing the area again this time. Here are a few streams I am considering, please let me know you would recommend these and of any others Iíve left off. I have a few hoppers and ants from my last trip in my fly box but to be honest I was slightly disappointed. I caught most of my fish with my basic flies of the Smokies so Iím not going all out with ďwesternĒ flies this go around.
Lamar River
Soda Butte
Slough Creek (first Meadow)
**** Roaring Creek (although Iíve read the Bears are a real concern here)
Tower Creek
Blacktail Deer Creek
Cache Creek (Once againÖBear could be an issue)

Any of you guys going to Yellowstone to fish this summer?
Old 06-19-2013, 10:06 AM

I am heading out this Saturday for a long road trip. We will arrive in Big Sky on June 24 and will leave July 14. I am going and staying with family, so I believe most of my fishing is going to take place on the Gallatin. I do hope to fish inside the park a day or two.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:53 AM

If your going to fish Slough don't skip the water below the campground. It has more cutbow. It's tougher fishing but the fish seem on average larger. I love the first meadow so you can't go wrong with it. Have you ever fished Tower below the falls. You have to go up from the canyon. There may be to much water for that so be careful. There's usually some bigger cuts from the Yellowstone in there then. Hope you have a good trip. Also try sheep eaters just north of obsidian creek for some Brook and pretty good hatches. Lynn
Old 06-19-2013, 01:00 PM

I hope you have a safe drive out make it inside the park to fish Flying Trout. Thanks for the stream information No Hackle. You are the second person that has told me to fish Tower Creek. When I was in Yellowstone the first time we hiked down to the Yellowstone River from the overlook and I could see where Tower comes into the Yellowstone but we didn't fish Tower. We will give it a try this time around and since I'm staying at Roosevelt it will be a short drive to get there. I will look up the Sheep Eaters for info as well. I am really looking forward to getting out there again.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 PM

Default hw3

Easy hiked into the Nez Perce Creek and caught some fish there. No one else there, and was not hard hike. Have to jump over fishing some hot spots. Yellowstone is a magical place. Do not overlook Hebgen Lake for the gulpers, large rainbows that eat the tiny nymphs; do not overset the hook, or they will break you off.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:03 PM

We will be going through Yellowstone the second week of August on the way to Cody Wyoming. We may try and fish somewhere in the northeast corner of the park for at least a day. We are staying on the North Fork of the Shoshone for about four days. Hope the crowd is bearable.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:10 AM

Fish the Yellowstone from Tower upstream...or down in the Black Canyon of the Yellowstone. Think Golden Stonefly nymphs...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 07-03-2013, 02:43 PM

Will be there with my son around mid september........will probably spend a few days in the northeast corner.......fishing a couple of days down around and above the $3 bridge...... David....any tips for mid september ?
Old 07-18-2013, 08:12 PM

Default I'm Back

After 26 days of being out of state I am back. I did get to fish some while I was out of state also. The first part of the time there was a salmon fly hatch. I was able to wade the Gallatin mainly in the canyon. The fish in the Gallatin are as strong as any trout I have hooked. They are constantly having to fight a strong current. I was able to float the lower Madison with some guys I met. It was the first time I had ever floated a river. I had a great time and will need to learn to fight larger fish. The other place I fished was a glacial lake hidden in a national forest. We camped for a couple of days and fished the whole time. Fly fishing was harder than the spin fishing. The water was so clear that you could see forever. It was very frustrating to fish because you could see giant fish and they could see you through the glassy surface. I had a great time fishing these areas. One day I will go back out and fish the park. It was about an hour drive from where I was staying this time.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:39 AM

got any photos? I am living vicariously these days