Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-26-2013, 03:42 PM

Default Chimneys Picnic Ground to Chimneys trailhead

Has anyone ever fished the West Prong of the Little Pigeon from the Chimneys Picnic Ground all the way to the Chimneys/Road Prong Trailhead? It looks like if you start at daybreak it can be done in a day if you leave one car at the Campground and one car at the trailhead.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:17 PM

Default In the day...

I used to fish that complete stretch as well as the one above the Chimney Trail parking area a lot. Only on one occasion did I ever encounter anyone more than a few hundred yards up the creek. On that trip I ran into a couple of Indians from Cherokee. Each was fishing bait and carrying a plastic bread bag with what looked like a hundred or so little trout in them. They were not the least bit concerned with anything other than catching trout.

It's long haul on either stretch, but not one you cannot easy accomplish in a day. After mile or so you get into lightly fished water. It's about a 2, or may be 3 flask fishing trip, depending on the weather.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:04 PM

Smile

I think you would be better off leaving a car at pull off before the tunnel. And even that would be a long day probably 8-10 hours fishing. Also watch water levels and Newfound gap rain gauge as that section can get scary quick

The section you are talking about I consider 3 separate stretches all being between 4-6 hours.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 PM

Love that stretch of water......my boot marks are usually the only ones i see...
Old 06-26-2013, 06:51 PM

I fished that area on fathers day, caught close to 50 bows in 4 hrs. Started at the picnic area top parking spot and went up for 2 hrs, boulder climbing,scrambling,rock hopping it's a lot of fun. every pool in the boulder field after the picnic area should hold 2 fish if you don't spook them. have fun,
Old 06-27-2013, 11:33 AM

I've done the pull off at the tunnel on up a couple of times. 2 years ago when I walked down through the scrub and dense brush below the tunnel to get to the water I heard stones clicking together. I stopped and listened and decided it had enough rhythm that it must just be the current moving 2 stones together. When I finally plopped into the river there stands Momma bear with 2 cubs! I'm all of 30 feet from her, the cubs start toward me, momma makes a gutteral sound and the cubs stop, turn 45 degrees and head straight out and up the hill away from me, then mom follows them. The whole time I was walking backward very slowly.
I turned, went right back to the truck, drove back down to the picnic area and put in there instead!
Old 06-27-2013, 02:38 PM

Listen very carefully to Duckypaddler...that is not a high water stretch of water...trust me...even when the water is down those pools up there are plenty big and deep...and even in these conditions you will be having to climb up, out, over and under anything and everything to advance....generally one decent take out once you get into the gorge and that is at the tunnel...needless to say you should take someone with you down there...all that said it is a fantastically wild experience....enjoy
Old 06-27-2013, 02:46 PM

Thanks to all for great information. I have been in parts of this section but have never had the nerve to try the entire distance. I'll take my pepper spray and a slow footed friend to fish with so I shouldn't have to worry about the bears.