Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 PM

Default Where to go fishing?

My best friend is coming in from California and wants to fly fish. He is only interested in it because I do it and it's all I talk about. He said he would like to try it. I have an extra rod and plenty of flies but I do not have an extra set of quality waders for him to use. Is the park our best option for both comfort and ability to catch his first trout? I don't mind to wet wade but I think the Clinch would be miserable (even if it's not generating). I also think the park is best since all you need is a license without the cost of a trout stamp. Is there anywhere else you guys could come up with that would allow him the best chance to land a fish? Keep in mind he has never fly fished (or maybe even really spin fished either) so short casts would be a must. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:34 PM

I have the same situation. My brother is tired of hearing my fly fishing stories and wants to create some of his own. He is coming down this weekend to get a crash course in preparation for a trip we are doing to Yellowstone later this month. The only difference being that he has all his own gear already including waders. I plan to take him to the Clinch this weekend (weather permitting) because it will be his best chance at short casts and hooking up. I expect a large crowd there for the holiday weekend, but as I said…..I still think it is his best chance.

There are a few brook trout streams that you and your friend could try but many of them are pretty confined and would make it difficult for a person with no experience casting a fly rod. I am not sure if your friend is coming this weekend or not but water levels will be an issue with the rain we are expected to receive this week regardless of where you decide. Sorry I wasn’t much help but I think your assessment is right. I’ve waded the Clinch with no waders but it wasn’t very fun because of the water temperature. The park may be your only option.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:12 PM

It will actually be next Wednesday. It's midweek so who knows about the clinch. Just hoping someone knew of a magical place where you can easily catch fish.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:40 PM

Smile

If it rains like it is supposed to Thursday there might not be many options period

That is unless you boat

Have a similar problem as I am supposed to find a place for Mac, Colby, and I to fish. If it rains the only decent options are gonna be really small streams that will be a challenge with 3 people

Maybe Colby & I will alternate pools giving Mac a little fast water here and there

I think we are just gonna have to wait and see where the rain falls and have several options that you can switch between
Old 07-02-2013, 06:21 PM

In a Yoda voice

"The Hiwassee is the river you seek".

Now in my normal old voice

The river is awesome right now and offers wading on almost any flow....barring spilling. Water temps are in the upper fifties and wet wading is doable. Dry flies and swung softies will catch plenty of fish. Brand new anglers are catching 20 plus fish a day......skilled anglers can do over a hundred with some nice fish mixed in.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:45 PM

Rocky....so the Hi is wadable with a two flow going? I was gonna give it a try last weekend until I saw the release schedule. When I saw two I assumed that like the Clinch I wouldn't be able to wade and went to the Clinch instead.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:50 PM

Apparently I can't read a calendar. It's Wednesday July 18th, not next Wednesday. Hopefully the rain will stop a bit. I've never been down to the Hiwassee...maybe I should go this weekend to see!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked_On_Fly_Fishing View Post
Rocky....so the Hi is wadable with a two flow going? I was gonna give it a try last weekend until I saw the release schedule. When I saw two I assumed that like the Clinch I wouldn't be able to wade and went to the Clinch instead.
Hooked,

There are a number of places on the Wass that are wadable during 2 turbine flow if it is 2,800 CFM or less. I say that because if there is any substantial rainfall, they my opt to spill along with running two turbines and that can push the flow up considerably (has gone as high as 9,000 cfm) and then wading is no longer an option. Typically without and spilling, two generators will not exceed 2,800 which is basically all the water they can push through the turbines and if that is the case, you have some wading options.

Don Denney who is a member of the Hiwassee Trout Unlimited Chapter and the webmaster of Hiwassee.net has posted some information regarding areas that can be waded during two turbine flow. This is the link to some of the areas he has listed. http://www.hiwassee.net/wade2.htm I will state that I have waded this river on two turbines many times and in a number of places not on Don's list. IF you decide to wade on two turbines, excersize caution and have a wading staff to help navigate the river.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman01 View Post
Don Denney who is a member of the Hiwassee Trout Unlimited Chapter and the webmaster of Hiwassee.net has posted some information regarding areas that can be waded during two turbine flow. This is the link to some of the areas he has listed. http://www.hiwassee.net/wade2.htm I will state that I have waded this river on two turbines many times and in a number of places not on Don's list. IF you decide to wade on two turbines, excersize caution and have a wading staff to help navigate the river.
Don is a great guy and very knowledgable. If you ever have the chance to stand around and talk to him, you can learn a ton about the Hiwassee.