Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-08-2013, 04:56 PM

Default Waterproof your Iphone for Pics

Saw a device in an outdoor magazine on a trip to Asheville. A Sealline E-Case. A waterproof case with RF-welded seams and SealLock closure. Withstands submersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. Seals like a puffy zip lock bag.

Both sides of the case are clear. Sharp pictures resulted with my trial. The phone buttons work fine. It retails or $29, but found one on Ebay for $12.34 shipped. Seller is xabstractx. Had 2 left when I bought mine last week.

Looks like an inexpensive solution for fish photos.

Lynn
Knoxville
Old 07-08-2013, 08:11 PM

Here is a link to photos of the case--http://cascadedesigns.com/e-case/features.

Lynn
Old 07-09-2013, 02:02 PM

Lynn,

I agree that these are an inexpensive means to protecting one’s I phone from water, both my son and I had purchased one and it did the job as they claim. However, several weeks ago while on a fishing trip, he pulled his out from his fly bag and dropped it in the process of taking a picture. The result was that the phone came into contact with a rock and cracked the face of the I-phone. While it does keep the phone dry, it does not offer an impact protection so one does have to exercise caution as not to repeat my son's situation if using one. I did not want to take any chances with my I Phone suffering the same fate so I made the investment and purchased an Otterbox armor series which cost me about $70 on Amazon. It offers the same submersion protection but also provides impact protection if it slips from my grip and comes into contact with a hard surface. Like the e-case, all the buttons function and it takes clear pictures, just puts me more at ease to know it is protected if I drop it. Furthermore, I do not remove it from the case, I keep it in there at all times as I can charge it, listen to music using the ear phones or without while always remaining in this vault of a phone case. These are obviously more expensive but could pay for itself in the long run.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:03 PM

I put my I-phone in a Lifeproof case to protect it but after after having my Olympus h20 proof camera fall out of my chest pack into deep water while bending over to release a fish, I decided to put a lanyard onto the phone also. I bought an inexpensive kwick tek dry pak cell phone case for $10 from academy to keep the phone in while fishing. It has a lanyard an d-ring and you can take photos or text and answer the phone through the case.
No matter what you use for protection, attach some para cord or heavy duty zinger to the phone or camera!