Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-14-2013, 09:51 PM

Default Taking what I learned from the experienced guys and applying them to my solo trip.

Since Ducky and I went fishing I've been waiting to have a day off where the water wasn't high. I learned a lot on that little trip. I went to a stream that I was familiar with, with my best day there being 5 fish. That was early last fall.

I caught lots of little brookies with a few in the 7" to 9" range. I caught one that was extremely colorful, but just my luck he bounced out of my hand and shot down the run before I could get a picture.

Anyways here's some of the pictures I did get. Sorry for the quality but I used my phone for the pictures.

Caught 2 fish out of this little run. One at the bottom of the run to the right in the picture and one at the top of the run just next to the stick in the water.

I'm sure someone on here knows what kind of flower this is.

It was the only rhodo that I saw with flowers still on it.

If any new guys are reading this and if you are having trouble catching fish in the park, I highly suggest having someone with more experience go out with you. Last year when I first started, a good day for me was 5 fish. Last fall I hired a guide to fill me in where a lot of my fishing technique was lacking. That was a very good decision. I went out with Ducky a few weekends ago for some small stream fishing. 2 of the big things that learned was position and the other was locations where trout would be sitting in the runs. Thanks to both of you guys for improving my fishing. Huge difference between 5 fish and 30.

With all that said, its fun to catch fish but it's still fun just to get out in stream. Any day I can spend out on the stream instead of sitting around the house is fun no matter how you look at, fish or no fish.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:11 AM

FO, You definitely hit the nail on the head. There's no substitute for experience and if you have the opportunity to tap into someone else's experience, all the better. And you picked a great mentor in Ducky. Congratulations on an excellent outing and thanks for sharing with us.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 PM

Red face

Haha nice post. Every year someone posts that flower about this time. It's bee balm. It's edible, tastes like a mix between Thyme and mint, but has a very bitter initial taste because of an alkaloid it contains which is semi theraputic as a pain killer - the Cherokee used it for tooth aches and migraines. For culinary use, it's mainly used to flavor meat (the leaves). I plan on roasting some trout stuffed with it this year to see how that is.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:00 PM

Float On,

Welcome to a great forum!! Thank you for your pics that show a great day and journey. Look forward to more.

Breck
Old 07-16-2013, 10:26 AM

Talking

Joel,

Thanks for a great post. Looks like you picked a stream with not too much water which seems to be the toughest thing this Summer. Thanks for all the kind words, and I'm glad you learned something in our day on the stream. I know it was others like FcFly and Grampus Jim who are on this forum that really helped me out when I was first starting out, and I'm glad I could pay back some. Glad you catching some good numbers now I bet if you can lengthen your cast a bit, crouch down a bit more to hide, and maybe get more comfortable with a dropper rig, you will be putting a REAL hurting on the fish. You were doing a great job of keeping your line off the stream, and once you get better at reading the water your days will only get better and better

Last edited by duckypaddler; 07-17-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Old 07-16-2013, 12:21 PM

The 2 things I worked on were the length of my casts and watching where I cast a shadow. Next time out I plan to run a dropper. These fish were more than willing to kill the dry so I figured if it wasn't broken don't fix it.

There was another stream I hit last year where I feel I should have caught more than what did. I hope this weekend will be ok so I can go up for another go at it. It's another one of those hikes for me where my lungs are screaming mercy. Winter took a huge toll on me. I just got to lazy and now I'm paying for it.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:27 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
It's edible, tastes like a mix between Thyme and mint, but has a very bitter initial taste because of an alkaloid it contains which is semi theraputic as a pain killer - the Cherokee used it for tooth aches and migraines. For culinary use, it's mainly used to flavor meat (the leaves). I plan on roasting some trout stuffed with it this year to see how that is.
Chemistry Teacher - Alkaloids - Sounds like a popular TV show

Thought everyone was crazy about Frog's Fanny? This guy makes a blue version that will float a dry fly for days, and with perfect crystal structure for those of you with microscopes

But if that didn't create enough of a problem for the community, he went even further to plague society by cooking the stuff and selling it cheap on the street. Known as Track (trout Crack) on the street and referred to as BBBT (Bee Balm Brook Trout) by more educated folks
Old 07-16-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Chemistry Teacher - Alkaloids - Sounds like a popular TV show

Thought everyone was crazy about Frog's Fanny? This guy makes a blue version that will float a dry fly for days, and with perfect crystal structure for those of you with microscopes

But if that didn't create enough of a problem for the community, he went even further to plague society by cooking the stuff and selling it cheap on the street. Known as Track (trout Crack) on the street and referred to as BBBT (Bee Balm Brook Trout) by more educated folks
Last time I ever tell you anything