Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 PM

Default 1 coyote and no brook trout

the brother in law (stu) and i went back up to bald river this past weekend. got there friday afternoon, and after a little rain passed by we started setting up camp only for stu to realize he forgot his rod at home. i finished setting up then took the opportunity to fish along the road, while he likely swore at me for four hours while retrieving his rod from next to the front door.

the river was a little high and stained, especially for this time of year, but the fishing was decent. the biggest obstacle was that we could not just get in the river and start working upstream. the higher than usual flow prevented me from casting into some of the great spots i remember from the last trip.

this was about the average size caught

on saturday morning we started early and hiked up to a tributary of bald river containing only brook trout. not far up we encountered a big coyote sniffing its way down the trail. my dog is a german sheppard and chow mix and this coyote was every bit as big. we all stopped and stared at each other for a minute before my nerves got the best of me and i opened my knife. the click sent it running back up the trail. we saw its tracks for nearly a mile but lost them after the stream crossing.

along the trail bald river was mostly choked out with rhododendron, and its tributary was no better. we hiked from the confluence with bald river to about .5-.75 miles up and found only a few places with enough opening to get off a bow and arrow cast. the fish were biting but the hookset was almost impossible. after losing a few flies in record time we turned and headed for more favorable waters, stopping and fishing around a couple of back country campsites along the way. saturday evening was a much better angling experience as i got into a little bit of topwater action. it never rained on us but we heard thunder all evening.

some camp visitors

we fished a little bit more on sunday after packing up but never got too serious with it. stu was apparently attacked overnight by chiggers. i was awakened before dawn with headlights on my tent. neither of us slept very good. still a good trip, and this time no tow trucks or wet sleeping bags. i just wish i had grabbed my camera instead of my knife
Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 AM

Great trip report.
Stayed at Holly Flats I take it?
I stay up there twice every year & really enjoy myself, although the fishing has left some to be desired the last few years. Stayed up there in May for 3 nights and had the entire campground to myself the whole time.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:27 PM

this was my third trip up there, all were made this year. it is the first time up there that we didn't have to leave early due to bad luck. i did notice the fishing was alot slower this trip than the past ones but i just attributed that to the higher flows.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:45 AM

Great bug pics! Love the translucent look in a couple of them.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-25-2013, 07:01 AM

wish i knew what they were. the yellow stone is obvious but i didn't see much hatching during the day. they preferred terrestrials over pheasant tails.