Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-09-2013, 07:49 AM

First time in the Smokies can be challenging. First, you should stop by the local fly shop (Little River is best) and ask for suggestions that are working that week. Guessing about flies for that month this far in advance is entertaining, but not serious. Temperatures and rain can vary widely during October, as can fishing success.

Best of luck. Let us know, and take photos.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:38 AM

You're right, it's definitely speculative, but you can still get a general idea. I mean, I'm not going to get down there and find myself in the middle of an epic sulpher hatch and be completely unprepared for it. It's the same for PA. I can't predict for sure what's going to be coming off in October, but I can usually tell you what is likely hatching, and what won't be hatching. I'm pretty sure there won't be any green drakes on Penn's in October hahaha! It's good to get an idea of a few patterns that I can tie up ahead of time, and then suppliment it with what I need at LRO when I get down there. That's kind of the plan.

Who am I kidding!? I usually fish the "Royal Wulff Hatch" all year anyway! I'm a firm believer in the idea that it ain't about what you're throwing, it's about how you're throwing it....most times (or, sometimes? Many times? Not always!)

Anyway, the plan is to DEFINITELY stop at LRO when we first arrive, and get any last minute flies/equipment that we might need. I wouldn't join a store's website, take all the info, and then not buy anything. That's like going into Borders, reading a novel, and then walk out w/out buying it!

After that, it looks like an amazing drive through the park to our campsite in Smokemont.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:37 AM

By the way, I came across this little gem while looking up October caddis patterns this morning. I'm digging the use of foam. I usually just tye mine in an EHC pattern w/ orange dubbing and white CDC as underwings, but I may try some of the orange foam types.

http://www.flytyer.com/index.php?opt...k=view&id=2976
Old 08-09-2013, 12:17 PM

Hey Squatch
do you know of any/some trout streams in the Butler area? I don't want secret spots. I just want to know if I should pack a fly rod next time work sends me into that area? I have been in once this year for 3 days and it looks like I will have to go back in 2014.

thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 12:37 PM

Unfortunately, I don't know the western part of PA very well. I have a friend who calls that section of the state, "Trout Purgatory". Not much going on as far as wild trout. If you go in the late Fall or winter, you're only an hour and a half from Erie. You can chase steelhead.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
And trying to guess what the weather will be around these parts could drive one insane. All I can really tell you is that and forecast more than 48 hours out will most likely be changed every 12 hours where they will still get it wrong in the end Somewhere between 15-85 degrees air temp, and 46-59 water temp is my best guess
Between 15-85, made me laugh. I dont know why the local weatherman doesnt just say that. But your right, hard to tell what the weather might do around here.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:41 PM

The more I hear about the weather, the more I think I'm just planning a trip to north-central PA haha! I was hoping the South brought a little more stability than the North-East...guess not! It's all part of the fun though, right?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:02 PM

I wouldn't worry about the weather in early October. I just looked back through one of my old reports and on October 14th, I was still wet wading and wearing nothing more than a long sleeve fishing shirt.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:31 AM

Average high for October is 72
Average low for October is 46

The first part of the month will be even higher.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:46 AM

I also hear it's one of the drier times of years in the Smokies. It really does sound like NCPA.

It's a nice, sunny morning here in Lancaster. I'm going after brook trout!