Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Default Odd Day in the Creek

I'm not one to post much, but occasionally strange things happen or are observed. Yesterday, a fishing buddy said he noticed a clump of leaves hanging from some line that had broken off on a limb on the edge of the stream. A moment later, he glanced at it and noticed I moved. Later, he was telling me about what he thought was a bat. He took me to it and sure enough a bat was hooked and hanging helplessly from a limb. Not wanting a slow death and Having grown up in Bat Harbor, I've always had an affinity for the flying mammals. Being born on Halloween may be another factor. I reached up with some small scissors I'd removed from my vest, cutting my line dropping the bat into my net. I laid it down on a rock. It seemed sluggish (fatigue or daylight or both?). With a set of forceps in one hand and scissors in the other I cut the line, removing it from the hook. I opened its mouth, never knew bats had SO MANY TEETH! Noticing how the bare brass hook, roughly size 14 was imbedded past the barb & gently tugging, the hook would not come out. I decided to leave it in the upper palate figuring I'd do more harm in the removal process. I placed the bat in a dry, safe place and fished on upstream. About 200 yds upstream, I found a brand new baseball! There shouldn't be a baseball in that area of the Park! As I left for the day, I walked back to check on the bat and discovered it had left.

Results of the day... 1 bat, 1 baseball, but no glove :-(

As a disclaimer, I never touched the bat, but allowed it to remain self-entangled in my net as I did my work.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:45 PM

Talking

Grampus Jim - Like a old Big Brown - Only surfaces a few times a year

Born on Halloween, I did not know that, that might explain a few things

Thanks for posting. While I have heard of too many bat encounters lately, I have been lucky enough not to have any that involve contact. Hopefully you saved it

Any white powder on its nose? I'm sure you have mentioned already, but since you got up close and personal thought I would ask.

Would love a trip report from you Show us young ins how it done
Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the post and punchline and good on you for saving the bat