Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-11-2013, 07:58 PM

Default No stars were born today

Metallica was rockin' on the radio
Free and easy down the road I go

What a morning it started out to be. I woke up 15 minutes before the alarm, fed the dog, ate a good breakfast, and I didn't even have to brush my teeth. I have no idea what I was listening to in the car last night, but the radio was turned up when I cranked it over. No problems, Ride the Lightening was playing. The only better start to the day that I can think of would be if they were playing Beastie Boys or some Willie Nelson.

I was headed fishing.

I got to the trailhead and the sun was just cracking through when I started my hike in.

I was the only car at the trailhead and had a hard time walking past miles of perfectly fishable water. I knew that it hadn't been touched in a whole night and would fish good, but I've always got to see what's over the next ridge. I walked a couple miles and decided to cut in right here, I may just find a river, even if it's little.

After fighting my way through the rhododendron, I pop out right on the water. Man, this spot looks fishable.

You'll have to forgive the quality of the photo. It was still pretty darn dark.

Two casts into the day, and I catch this. First fish of the day.

I hate posting such crappy pics, but you've always got to take a picture of your first fish. It might be your only fish and without a picture, it's just a story.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:10 PM

Default cont.

But, don't worry, I went on to fish more water that looked just as good as the last.

And I caught more fish that looked just like the first.

A couple dozen or more of them actually.

This is a pretty stupid place for someone to put their net. I bet they forgot they sat it here. I think I'll grab it and drop it off at LRO so they can pick it up if they read this.

When I get old, I want to grow old and gnarly like I imagine this tree did.

I also want to wear shorts with black socks and be able to say my opinion at the exact moment it hits my mind.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:19 PM

Default cont. II

I even managed to catch several like this.

Out of places like this.

It looks like the hat is lucky and will be traveling the 2,000 miles to Wyoming with me next month.

The lucky fly of the day was a size 14 elk hair caddis in a sparkling orange color.

That's all I had with me.

I see all these pictures of these extremely organized fly boxes and I think to myself "I want one o those". So, I figured I'd get another new flybox and organize all my flies and not carry any of my other boxes. Well, I didn't get very far.

Oh yea, I caught one of these also.

Cheers!

Old 08-11-2013, 08:23 PM

Talking

Glad you had a good day. Definitely worth the hike considering the campsites have been closed for so long now that pressure must really be down

How big was that Rainbow 13-14? And that Brown was pretty sweet

Those 2 fish alone must have been enough to make your day. Bet you there is a newby out there kicking themselves right now
Old 08-11-2013, 08:36 PM

Congratz on the great day of fishing and thanks for an outstanding post. I can't wait to catch a brown like that in water like that
Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Glad you had a good day. Definitely worth the hike considering the campsites have been closed for so long now that pressure must really be down

How big was that Rainbow 13-14? And that Brown was pretty sweet

Those 2 fish alone must have been enough to make your day. Bet you there is a newby out there kicking themselves right now
I did run into a bear. But, I don't think it was the one that has been terrorizing the campsites. It was getting late in the day and I came to a spot that smelled terribly of dead fish and dog pee. I knew what the smell was and backed out, crossing the river. Sure enough, just 10 feet from where I was standing, stood a bear. It got up on its hind legs, looked at me and took off. I don't think the problem bears normally run like that. It's my opinion, but I think bears are worse than my dog and roll in anything that could possibly smell bad. But, everyone that I've ever smelled, smelled like dog pee.

I was thinking the rainbow was around 12". But, if someone wants to think 14", I'll take it!!!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:49 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post

I was thinking the rainbow was around 12". But, if someone wants to think 14", I'll take it!!!
It's a great fish any way you look at it

Nathan and his Biology Professor buddy saw the dart crew on the hunt there a few weeks back. One naughty bear took 2 packs the day before
Guess they really are closed for a reason
Old 08-11-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
It's a great fish any way you look at it

Nathan and his Biology Professor buddy saw the dart crew on the hunt there a few weeks back. One naughty bear took 2 packs the day before
Guess they really are closed for a reason
So do they close campsites down until they get the bear, how does it work Ducky?
Old 08-11-2013, 11:37 PM

Post. Of. The. Year.

At least so far...

You can't hear me, but I give this report a slow clap standing ovation
Old 08-12-2013, 10:04 AM

Nice post and I enjoyed the pictures.