Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-06-2013, 08:37 AM

Default Great evening yesterday!

I decided to hit a flat on my way home from work. The tide was late, 9pm was the high where I was fishing, and I was there way too early. I piddled around at my vehicle, changing, and getting ready for as long as I could, then went ahead and walked out. The water was still a good three feet from being on the flat so I found a log to sit on to wait. The wind was blowing a gale 25kts or so, and as I sat there for about 45 minutes I started to ask myself what the heck I was thinking.

I did watch some fiddler crabs for a while, and even saw a very small one:

After about 45 minutes I finally walked over to the grass transition line, and I was just getting about 5-6 inches of water along the edge. The wind was really blowing, but I immediately saw a fish, and put the fly in front of it several times, but the fish just did not see the fly. I moved around some more, and saw several more fish, but they were really difficult to track due to the wind and rough water. Finally I saw a nice fish tail, and was able to track it long enough to get a cast in, and caught this nice 25 inch red:

I spooked a couple more that swam up to me without showing, and now the water was getting too deep, so I moved from that spot to another that had a little bit of a wind break. From about 60 yards away I spotted a really nice tail, made my approach and with my first catch hooked up with a really nice red. It ended up being 29.5 inches:

It was also a tagged fish. This was my first tagged redfish.

It ended up being a great evening, even having to fight the wind.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:21 PM

Great pics John. My son and I hooked into those fish last year and after landing them....I was ready to go home and back to mountain trout.

Those fish wore us out!!! Trying to imagine them on a fly rod.

Thank You,

Breck
Old 08-06-2013, 08:05 PM

John, Cool report. I imagine catching a tagged fish is about as rare as shooting a banded duck. But, what do you do when you catch a tagged fish? How do you report it?
Old 08-06-2013, 10:38 PM

Nice spots.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 AM

Buzzmcmanus,
The South Carolina DNR has a website where you can report the serial number, along with catch information on a tagged fish. You can also mail the information in, or call it in. My understanding is that they will send me a report on the fish that I caught, when it was tagged, how often it has been caught, etc. Looking forward to the information.

I did get out again yesterday evening, only saw one and he broke me off in the grass.

John

Last edited by JohnH0802; 08-07-2013 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: left something out
Old 08-07-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH0802 View Post
My understanding is that they will send me a report on the fish that I caught, when it was tagged, how often it has been caught, etc. Looking forward to the information.
That's really cool. You'll have to let us know what you find out.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:53 AM

I forgot that I had a picture of the fly I used. It is a fiddler pattern I tie with Puglisi fibers and some rubber legs.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:46 PM

John......nice fish......I can't imagine a red on a fly rod!!! What weight and length rod do you use?? Thanks......
Old 08-12-2013, 08:35 AM

I use an 9' 8 Wt rod for redfish. I also got the information back on the fish. He was initially tagged in Nov 2012 and was 24.4 inches. It had not been caught and reported again until I caught it. It measured 29.5 inches when I caught it some 250 days after it was tagged. They also sent me a cool T-shirt with a redfish on the back.

Tags
redfish, spot, tagged