Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-19-2013, 03:24 PM

Default BBQ on TN side of the Park

Hey all, I will be down that way in the next couple of weeks to unwind and wet a line for a few days. We always stop by The Rib Shack (on Pittman Center Rd) for a meal or three while we are there. However, I hear tale that it is now closed. Is this correct? If so, what other BBQ places would you recommend? We have had Bennett's and Corky's and they are okay. Bennett's used to be pretty good, but seemed to go downhill a few years back. We haven't eaten there in probably 3-4 years. Anyway, I would prefer a local, mom-&-pop type place over the big national or regional chains. Any and all help is appreciated. By the way, I would be willing to make the drive to the NC side if the Q is good enough. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2013, 05:43 PM

The wife and I stopped in there about two months ago, and it was quite busy. I did a quick google for the joint, and found a website that said they were closed as of April, 2013. However, I know that to be incorrect, because we at there the last week of June. I think they actually just changed the name of the business, as there was a different sign hanging out front.

I would try calling them.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 PM

The best BBQ in these parts is Cade Cove at the Grocery store 3 minutes in mic is all it takes .
Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 AM

I think Corky's is the one that closed.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:17 PM

Smile

The Rib Shack seems to always to closed when I drive by there. Sometimes two to three times a week.

Then finally I saw they were open just a week back, but it was after speaking to the wife who was already cooking dinner. So I doubt they are closed but have some REALLY limited hours of operation.

The new BBQ place across the street from the Greenbrier entrance is good I like chicken and most people dry it out of make it fibery. There's is always tender and moist

The only place I would recommend you stay away from if Little River BBQ in Townsend. I also will never stay at Ye Old Mill Campground

http://www.thedailytimes.com/Local_N...peal-id-038814

Charging to walk around a deadly obstruction is despicable
Old 08-20-2013, 04:00 PM

Ducky,

Thanks for posting that News link on Townsend and the Camp Ground.

Looks like even small town hospitality can be effected
Old 08-20-2013, 06:44 PM

Speaking of BBQ, who has tried that joint in Maryville along 411 in the old gas station? Have been tempted to stop in there quite a few time, but just keep on driving anxious to get to the park.

Tubers:

Lots of negative responses from Townsend residents. I have personally talked with three landowners in Townsend in the past, and they all said that they wish tubing was not allowed in Townsend. Their comments were that tourists from Pigeon Forge and G-burg come to Townsend to float the river and leave their trash. They wish they would just stay in PF and float down the Little Pigeon.

However, I was quite surprised by this attitude considering how much income tourists generate for Townsend. There must be a significant amount of frustration created by these tubers to offset the income generated....

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 08-20-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
The Rib Shack seems to always to closed when I drive by there. Sometimes two to three times a week.

Then finally I saw they were open just a week back, but it was after speaking to the wife who was already cooking dinner. So I doubt they are closed but have some REALLY limited hours of operation.

The new BBQ place across the street from the Greenbrier entrance is good I like chicken and most people dry it out of make it fibery. There's is always tender and moist

The only place I would recommend you stay away from if Little River BBQ in Townsend. I also will never stay at Ye Old Mill Campground

http://www.thedailytimes.com/Local_N...peal-id-038814

Charging to walk around a deadly obstruction is despicable

Before the old man (can't remember his name) died who owned all that, the BBQ was run by his wife and they were always really good about being friendly, apparently his sons, not so much. She's no longer part of that business and opened her own restaurant "Elvira's" in wears valley which I have heard good things about the breakfast there!

Travis, are talking about full service BBQ? I've eaten there before. The first couple of times I thought it was so so but they have their system down now and it's pretty good, and reasonably fast too.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Speaking of BBQ, who has tried that joint in Maryville along 411 in the old gas station? Have been tempted to stop in there quite a few time, but just keep on driving anxious to get to the park.
Overpriced & their sauces aren't very good IMO.
Its been over a year since I've tried it. Maybe things have changed.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
Overpriced & their sauces aren't very good IMO.
Its been over a year since I've tried it. Maybe things have changed.
I have to agree: Full Service is a bit overpriced, considering you sit outside on picnic tables.
And the sauces aren't all that great either.

But for some reason I keep going back...(laziness?)
The pork sandwich is actually very good (a bit over priced), but tasty...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."