Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-20-2013, 08:31 AM

Default Back From Yellowstone...Thanks for the advice!

I am back from my late July trip to Yellowstone. I thought I would say thank you for all of the feedback everyone on the board gave in terms of waters to fish and other advice. It was a great trip.
Sorry....I stink at adding photos.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 AM

Awesome man. Looks like you had a blast. I'm uber jealous.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:55 AM

I think you add photos just fine. Looks like a sweet trip.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:01 PM

Please tell us where each photo was taken. Great fish!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:21 PM

Yes man.........we need details..........I will be out there myself in a mere 18 days...........details I say...........!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
Yes man.........we need details..........I will be out there myself in a mere 18 days...........details I say...........!!!!!!
That looks like the Gardner River Bridge. Otherwise, I await the OP's response.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 AM

Sorry guys, this is what I was talking about when I said I stink at adding photos. I couldn't get it to allow space in between pictures to add details for some reason.
Photo#1 was taken at dusk on the Lamar. If you are coming in from the NE entrance there is some nice water to the right after you cross the bridge. I've had luck there before but we didn't get any action on the evening the picture was taken.
#2 was a Brookie we caught just above the Tower creek camp ground. That was by far the most productive stream. It's small and the fish are in the 10" range but it was a blast to fish. Use caution....there were berries everywhere and you know berries=bears. They are also doing major road work in the Tower area so plan around that as well.
#3 Was taken on the banks of the Soda Butte. Pink Hoppers in a #16 worked well while we were there the last week of July.
#4 and #8 were in fact taken on the Gardner Chechem. My brother-in-law caught that brown on what else......a pink hopper. A thunder storm blew in and ran us off the water but we parked up top and fished the section under the bridge. The fish were looking up but it's pocket water and a little tougher to fish.
#5,#6,#7 were all taken on the Soda Butte. It's not sexy and it certainly is not why you got to Yellowstone but there was a spot beside the road that we caught a lot of really nice Cutthroat in. Hoppers and PMD were the dry fly picks and if you want to nymph I would recommend a bead head hair ear in a size 16.
It was a great trip. I posted a write up on my Blog as well if your interested.

http://tnflyguy.blogspot.com/
Old 08-21-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked_On_Fly_Fishing View Post
Sorry guys, this is what I was talking about when I said I stink at adding photos. I couldn't get it to allow space in between pictures to add details for some reason.
Photo#1 was taken at dusk on the Lamar. If you are coming in from the NE entrance there is some nice water to the right after you cross the bridge. I've had luck there before but we didn't get any action on the evening the picture was taken.
#2 was a Brookie we caught just above the Tower creek camp ground. That was by far the most productive stream. It's small and the fish are in the 10" range but it was a blast to fish. Use caution....there were berries everywhere and you know berries=bears. They are also doing major road work in the Tower area so plan around that as well.
#3 Was taken on the banks of the Soda Butte. Pink Hoppers in a #16 worked well while we were there the last week of July.
#4 and #8 were in fact taken on the Gardner Chechem. My brother-in-law caught that brown on what else......a pink hopper. A thunder storm blew in and ran us off the water but we parked up top and fished the section under the bridge. The fish were looking up but it's pocket water and a little tougher to fish.
#5,#6,#7 were all taken on the Soda Butte. It's not sexy and it certainly is not why you got to Yellowstone but there was a spot beside the road that we caught a lot of really nice Cutthroat in. Hoppers and PMD were the dry fly picks and if you want to nymph I would recommend a bead head hair ear in a size 16.
It was a great trip. I posted a write up on my Blog as well if your interested.

http://tnflyguy.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the follow-up information. I'm ready to go back now myself!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:51 PM

The Gardner is a heck of a lot of fun in that stretch from the high bridge all the way down to the 45th parallel bridge. But that fast current and all those pockets make for challenging drifts at times. Its also a lot of fun for brookies above the falls in the Indian Creek area. Those brookies don't concern themselves with drag and presentation.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:13 PM

Have any of you guys ever fished the thermal side of the park? (Fire Hole, Gibbons, and the Madison)
Since I was there in July most of those streams were already too warm but I'd love to go in the spring one year and give them a try. It's a tough decision to take a risk in the spring with run off and potential for snow. My first trip was in September and this past trip was late July. The weather was great both times, minus a little evening showers this time.