Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Boats, Canoes and Kayaks

Old 08-21-2013, 10:31 AM

Default Kayak Options

I'm hoping you guys will share some of your kayak rigging and techniques. I've got a good platform for fishing and for the most part I've fished slower moving rivers and lakes. I've only targeted bass when fishing from the kayak. The past year and a half I've been in waders fishing for trout. A recent trip to the Clinch and threads posted on floating has me wanting to get the kayak out again.

The biggest question I have is where is a good location for the solo yaker. 1 car, 1 kayak, 1 person makes float trips a little confusing. I need somewhere to go that I can paddle back to the car (unless there is another way).

The other question was the use of a drift chute/sock. Needed or not. I seem to have issues with the motion of cast turning the kayak. I've seen a small paddle kinda like an emergency paddle that would probably work well so I didn't have fight with the larger paddle and the rod.

I'm hoping to target some of the bigger browns or just have a nice quiet float.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:41 PM

I float and fish out of a 12 ft solo canoe and have it rigged with a drag chain off the stern that can be raised and lowered while sitting. It works great for slowing your drift and keeping the boat straight. Most canoes and yaks do not have enough of a keel to prevent the twisting as your casting. Try hanging your left foot/ leg in the water if a right handed caster. I did that a lot when I fished from a sit on top kayak. Simulates a keel. Never used a drift chute but would be afraid of it catching lots of grass. I also use a kayak paddle but have a small back up paddle for quick course corrections especially when the wind is blowing the bow off course while drifting. It can get very frustrating dealing with current, wind, casting, and mending while trying to control the boat and fish at the same time. But it's nice to be able to get to places only a drift boat or pontoon craft can go. I usually paddle upstream from my launch point and fish back if by myself or paddle to shoals and wade around with the boat tethered to me.
Riverbassin forum has a lot more fishermen using kayaks and canoes to float rivers than this one and has a lot of info on rigging your boat
I've never had a problem using the dragchain but I keep a knife handy in case I need to cut away.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:45 PM

I fish from a kayak on a regular basis. I use the drag chain also. It's very cheap and effective. I do put duct tape all the way around the chain. that keeps it from hanging up as bad.

I have also used a ping pong paddle while I am fishing. It is small enough to put in your lap and does a fairly effective job.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:34 PM

Paddle upstream before you start fishing or stash a bike at the takeout and pedal back to car (leaving kayak at takeout).

No chute or driftsock, you are moving along pretty much at the same speed.

A drag chain is ok, but if it snags (and it will eventually) you are in for a sudden jerk. With the low freeboard of a kayak, it is very easy to end up in the water. I prefer finding places to wade (and using the kayak for shuttle) or using an anchor off the bow (only in calm water, otherwise it is like snagging a chain above).
Old 02-27-2014, 01:15 PM

I keep my paddle across my lap, or within easy reach. I do get line tangled around it occasionally but I figure that is just part of the nature of fly fishing. I have an anchor I made out of two old window weights. The rope is attached on one end instead of the middle so if my yak moves too much it lifts the end and slides over most rock structure. It has only ever got hung once in 4 years, and that day was exceptionally windy, I should not have ever launched.

Email Punk

http://lastdrifteffort.blogspot.com
Old 03-03-2014, 03:36 PM

Default drag chain

an old bike inner tube works great for covering the chain are reducing hangups. I have it tied to a retractable dog leash which makes it easy up and down. It is pretty easy to find this set up on google.