Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-22-2013, 04:11 PM

I have a size 11 foot typically. My Korkers's boots are an 11 and I wear them with waders and they fit fine, when I wear them with wading socks, they are a bit loose, but still fine. My shoes are a 10 and I wear them with a pair of smartwool footies. They fit good.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:12 PM

Elkmont is great. Fishing is good and the scenery is hard to beat.

I can't think of the name of the river but, just past the Sugarland Visitor Center, on Newfound Gap road, there are some "quiet walkways" that lead down to the river. I have caught alot of fish there and have never seen any one else. Great thing is, it is only a few minutes from Gatlinburg.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:21 PM

I would add a recommendation that hiring a guide, even if it is just for a half day, would be extremely helpful to your success rate in catching fish. If this is your first trip or you have limited experience in the mountains, a guide will drastically shorten the learning curve.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-23-2013, 12:33 PM

Are there any good maps online that show the roads and stream names? I've tried looking at the GSMNP map on the NPS website and it's not very detailed.

Thanks for all the tips. Money will be a little tight since I have to stock up on some extra gear for this trip but I've looked in to possibly a half day trip with a guide. I'll give more thought to that.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:17 PM

JoeFred,

This gentleman is looking for some stream maps of the smokes, do you know anyone that could help.

bmadd,

You might want to check out LRO forum user JoeFred, Mr. Fred Turner at SmokyStreams.com. I think everyone from this forum is familiar his maps. Would not be surprised if LRO sells them as well.

Personally, for what you need I could not think of a better fly fishing, trail map of the smokes.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:14 AM

Looks like my trip is nearing, maybe the park will be more easily accessed next Thursday/Friday. What are some recommendations for things I need to make sure and bring with me? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:03 PM

Default Korkers size ?

They tend to run a size smaller, meaning that you need a size larger. For example, I usually wear a size 9, but found a size ten was necessary in the Korker's Konvertable boots.

Mike

PS: Depending on this "showdown" and Park closure, if still closed, I'd suggest fishing either in Townsend or out of Gatlinburg. Folks are being allowed to walk into the park, but only being able to walk, limits one's potential destinations for fishing (unless they hike in and camp).
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 10-09-2013, 12:13 PM

Default Korkers size

I would agree with Pmike. I wear a size 9.5 and got the size 10 Korkers. They are fine when I wear them without waders. But with waders it starts to hurt my toes after a while.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:33 PM

I went ahead and bought the Korkers wading shoes. I've tried them out on the Buffalo River here in Middle/West TN and I'm pretty happy with them. Will I need a net? I know to keep my hands wet when handling the fish and things like that but is a net necessary? I don't have one and don't have much use for one here in West TN. Clothing still need to be drab colors/camo? Any other useful tips would be much appreciated.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:06 PM

Need a net? Not at all. I've got one that I never carry in the park. The only time I carry it is when I expect to hook into large fish that I want to be able to land without completely wearing them out. OTOH if you're planning on keeping fish a net might help get a few more to the frying pan. I'm usually happy when they free themselves at my feet and save me the effort.