Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 PM

It can be difficult in water so clear you can see 30' deep. We always tried to fish an inlet or outlet if the lake had one. We also used long leaders (14-16') were not uncommon. You also need to watch the fish. Not just to see the fish rise, but to try and determine if the fish is cruising the water. If they are you can cast your fly out ahead of where you think the fish is going and just let it set. Fishing dries in alpine lakes can be a blast right after ice out, and it can be very frustrating once they have wised up and seen a few anglers.

Last edited by flyman; 08-24-2013 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
Old 08-23-2013, 12:26 PM

Great post! I too have always wanted to fish one of those alpine lakes. Keep up the good posts!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 AM

Default Awesome Pics!

Great pics and fish David! I've really been enjoying your posts. I do have a question for you if you don't mind. What are water temps running out there? My wife and I will be in RMNP in 2 weeks and I'm trying to decide if we can get away with leaving the waders at home. We will probably be fishing in the meadow stretch of the colorado and in moraine park on the big t. The last time we were out there was in early October and the high country was already getting snow. In fact we woke up to 4" our second morning. If Kirk would get on the ball like Byron with his fishing report, I wouldn't have to bug you with this
Old 08-30-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejb View Post
Great pics and fish David! I've really been enjoying your posts. I do have a question for you if you don't mind. What are water temps running out there? My wife and I will be in RMNP in 2 weeks and I'm trying to decide if we can get away with leaving the waders at home. We will probably be fishing in the meadow stretch of the colorado and in moraine park on the big t. The last time we were out there was in early October and the high country was already getting snow. In fact we woke up to 4" our second morning. If Kirk would get on the ball like Byron with his fishing report, I wouldn't have to bug you with this
Dukejb,

Things are looking pretty good. I was on the Big T in Moraine Park last evening and wore sandals. When I'm fishing these meadow streams I rarely ever get in the water and often just wear hiking boots. If you are wanting to wade, the water temps are definitely cool but not frigid. Wet wading is fine except it will be chilly early and late. The plains are really hot but the high country is seeing lows dipping into the 30s on some nights. I expect to see the first snows on the highest peaks in another 2-3 weeks. Feel free to shoot me an email when your trip gets closer, and I'll see if I can get an actual temp on both of those streams...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-30-2013, 01:06 PM

Here is Moraine Park last evening after a storm came through. The monsoon is still alive and well...

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-31-2013, 10:16 AM

thanks for sharing
Old 09-03-2013, 02:58 PM

Default Flattops Wilderness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
Here is Moraine Park last evening after a storm came through. The monsoon is still alive and well...
Hi David, any idea if they have been getting rain on or near the Flattops Wilderness. I'm heading out to Fort Collins tomorrow for a few days on the Cache La Poudre and then was planning on the trek up to the Flattops, but I can't find any reports of how the White River is holding up.
Have you heard anything?

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."