Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-26-2013, 07:00 PM

Default Trico's

So on Saturday I saw many Tricos doing the mating dance,some near Metacalf Bottoms and a large swarm up near Elkmont. So my question is do the fish key in on the spinner fall. In PA there is always a big spinner fall from about 7am - 10 and wondered if that was the case here. I just can't imagine with that many tricos that the fish wouldn't hit them when there is nothing much else hatching.

Anyone fish this hatch here? Thinking about giving it a go early morning one day this week.Thanks.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:09 PM

Either people fish this hatch and keep it secret or I am going to be the first to take advantage of it Maybe have to ask Mr Knapp ....
Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

I posted a thread about this last week. Also having lived in PA and fished there a lot it has always surprised me how little our fish here care about the tricos. There are half a dozen holes road side where I know 250 days a year there will be fish sipping something, and while I have caught fish in these holes on tricos, I don't think they were keying in on them. I always notice the small clouds of tricos dancing around elkmont and down through Metcalf, but I have never seen a lot of tricos on the water at one time. I enjoy dry fly midge fishing, I carry tricos and use them sometimes, but all in all I know I can catch a lot more numbers and better size fish fishing other things..
Old 08-28-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
I posted a thread about this last week. Also having lived in PA and fished there a lot it has always surprised me how little our fish here care about the tricos. There are half a dozen holes road side where I know 250 days a year there will be fish sipping something, and while I have caught fish in these holes on tricos, I don't think they were keying in on them. I always notice the small clouds of tricos dancing around elkmont and down through Metcalf, but I have never seen a lot of tricos on the water at one time. I enjoy dry fly midge fishing, I carry tricos and use them sometimes, but all in all I know I can catch a lot more numbers and better size fish fishing other things..
Thanks for the info 2 weight have you ever seen the spinner fall here early in the morning though because back in PA that is what they keyed in on at least on the waters I fished.

I am wondering if its worth getting there early to see....sorry I did not see your earlier post.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

in the summer im always a fan a arriving early... the best I have seen when it comes to the tricos spinner fall is in long slower pools in the very tail ends. Usually there are some small bows and browns in the tails sipping pretty much anything small before it get swept into the next riffle. I have seen hatches other places where the water has a film of dead flies in it during the spinner fall of tricos, but I have never seen those numbers here..
Old 08-29-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
in the summer im always a fan a arriving early... the best I have seen when it comes to the tricos spinner fall is in long slower pools in the very tail ends. Usually there are some small bows and browns in the tails sipping pretty much anything small before it get swept into the next riffle. I have seen hatches other places where the water has a film of dead flies in it during the spinner fall of tricos, but I have never seen those numbers here..
Thnaks bud , appreciate your insight.