Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 PM

Default fished Greenbrier today

Nice water. Big water. Tiny fish. Like 20 of them.

I've never fished LPR, but I couldn't get over how small the fish are for such big water. Heck they are bigger in Cosby Creek.

What's up with all of the fingerling trout? I was hoping to catch something I could actually EAT.

Any suggestions on some water where I could actually catch a keeper?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 PM

Where on greenbrier were you? And I guess it depends on what you mean by eating size. I caught several well over keeper size on Sunday and lost one large lunker that was easily pushing over 12". They are in there. But yes most of the fish I caught were right around 6".
Old 08-28-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Where on greenbrier were you? And I guess it depends on what you mean by eating size. I caught several well over keeper size on Sunday and lost one large lunker that was easily pushing over 12". They are in there. But yes most of the fish I caught were right around 6".
I went to that bridge that directs you to Ramsey Cascades where the there is a fork in the river - one part going left, the other going right. I took the left one. It was beautiful, fairly large water, but all of the fishies were 5-6 inches. It might take a dozen of those to add up to a pound.

I just figured with that size of water you would see plenty of fairly chunky trout, but I'm still a newbie out here!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:27 PM

How far up that trail did you go?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
How far up that trail did you go?
We started fishing right there and hiked up I guess a quarter mile. My dad is elderly and has some dementia so we cant really hike too far from the car.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:02 AM

ok then that makes more sense. The fishing usually isn't as good down there in my experience, there is definitely more pressure so the bigger fish are probably more wary
Old 08-29-2013, 06:10 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher View Post
I went to that bridge that directs you to Ramsey Cascades where the there is a fork in the river - one part going left, the other going right. I took the left one. It was beautiful, fairly large water, but all of the fishies were 5-6 inches. It might take a dozen of those to add up to a pound.

I just figured with that size of water you would see plenty of fairly chunky trout, but I'm still a newbie out here!
My guess is that you weren't stealth enough to get the big boys to play. That section of stream holds plenty of big fish While on my trip last week I didn't get any pics of some big ones. I did land 2 in the 9-10 inch range. First jumped out of my hand before I could grab the shot. Second I even thought to myself take pic before you take out fly, but like a fool I didn't and that one leaped away also. I also hooked one I would guess was 11-12 at the end of the pool but as he dropped into the wood pile below that drop he was long gone by the time I could reach down to try and grab him. Some days it seems more of the big boys are out. Sometimes it's all Brookies or all rainbow. Sometimes they don't bite at all Guess that's why they call it fishing and not catching
Old 08-29-2013, 08:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

greenbriar in my opinion has the smallest average size fish of any river in the smokies...That being said, I have caught plenty of 11 in fish out there. I have caught some stockers that have swam up a few miles that were 14... but all in all greenbriar is what I call the land of 6 in fish...Tons of them...Also keep in mind that you do not have a chance for an 18-20 incher simply because it lacks brown trout.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:31 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
greenbriar in my opinion has the smallest average size fish of any river in the smokies...That being said, I have caught plenty of 11 in fish out there. I have caught some stockers that have swam up a few miles that were 14... but all in all greenbriar is what I call the land of 6 in fish...Tons of them...Also keep in mind that you do not have a chance for an 18-20 incher simply because it lacks brown trout.
I respectfully disagree. I had a day last year where I caught 40 keepers on that stretch. Most Big Fish I have ever caught in a day in the park. Also know of a 15 incher that was caught this year in another feeder stream recently. Mac, Colby, and I all had some Big Fish earlier this year.

Could it be that Nathan is eating them all
Old 08-30-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
I respectfully disagree. I had a day last year where I caught 40 keepers on that stretch. Most Big Fish I have ever caught in a day in the park. Also know of a 15 incher that was caught this year in another feeder stream recently. Mac, Colby, and I all had some Big Fish earlier this year.

Could it be that Nathan is eating them all
I echo this. Yes I have caught a ton of small trout on this stream, but I have never had a trip there where I didn't land some pretty good size trout, and have had multiple hook ups with some big guys. Also which fish are hitting (Brookies vs bows) changes day to day and sometimes even throughout the day. On one day, it was all little guys until a rainstorm hit. During the rain, I was catching them on almost every cast and they were all over 8". As soon as the rain quit, it was back to little guys

But no, I'm not eating them all. I just throw them in the woods