Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-31-2013, 11:17 AM

Default First Grand Slam

I wen to the clinch this morning and had a great day! The highlight was my first grand slam! Miller's was hopping with activity and willing fish today. At the boat ramp waiting for the generator were abunch of people with questionable rafts. I did want to stay and watch how well an inflatable mattress floated down the river. Anyone else out there today?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:57 AM

Congratz on the slam what were they hitting ?
Old 09-01-2013, 12:16 PM

I was using a black caddis dry fly with a gray 22 zebra. I hooked lots of fish but only brought about 7 to hand. That tiny midge is hard to keep in their mouth.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:31 PM

Congrats, on the slam, I just got in from the dusk patrol on the Clinch not as good as you I got three nice brook will post pics later. The good thing you got a slam, the bad thing you got a slam. It's those kinda of days that keeps you coming back and it's those kind of days that will drive you mad when you don't. As far as the rafts I saw a group of new to kayaking
put in about 6:00 PM or so. Their group leader let them off, not a one had on a lifejacket, with a two generatior flow even though I saw the group leader had them in the truck. He let them out and told them to stay close to the bank if the fog was too thick or they heard a boat and than drove off to the take out I guess with his wife. I hope all went well, I was horrifed, the guy who let them should have been shot with that kind of rafting irresponsiblity! We fished the French Broad in Asheville on Saturday from Bent Creek put in to Hominy Creek take out and were amazed at the number of young and older people putting in at Hominy Creek below the Biltmore House on floats that I would use only in a swimming pool, proving the axiom that God protects drunks, dogs ad children

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 09-02-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I wen to the clinch this morning and had a great day! The highlight was my first grand slam! Miller's was hopping with activity and willing fish today. At the boat ramp waiting for the generator were abunch of people with questionable rafts. I did want to stay and watch how well an inflatable mattress floated down the river. Anyone else out there today?
I think I saw that flotilla going home. It looked like a pile of white and blue blow-up beds or something floating down the river.

BTW; fishing has been very good on the river. I had to keep the fly box busy this weekend to dial in the right pattern. However; I was slamming them on a #12-14 Gold Tungsten, with crystal flash under body and pheasant tail back, wrapped in wire. Had an hour were I literally landed a fish every cast.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-02-2013, 08:31 PM

What's a "Gold Tungsten"
Old 09-03-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
What's a "Gold Tungsten"
Sorry bud for the vagueness. I meant Gold Tungsten Bead on a #14-16 hook.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-03-2013, 10:09 AM

Thanks for all the input. I ended up fishing sat and sun morning. Sat morning was great. I caught 10 fish, mostly rainbows with a coupe large brookies mixed in. I was catching them on size 18 olive wd40 or hotspot (brown with orange spot). It seemed whenever the sun came out from behind the clouds I would get a bite. I got a nice 19 inch rainbow on a red san juan worm right as the water was going down.

Sunday was a different story. We got up a little late and the parking lot at millers island was already full at 630. Tried to fish anyway and we got 3 or 4 then got tired of crowds and went up to the weir dam. It was tough fishing up there but we managed a couple small rainbows.

All in all a nice weekend on the Clinch.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Sorry bud for the vagueness. I meant Gold Tungsten Bead on a #14-16 hook.
I thought you had invented a new pattern (like the "Madison Midge") and was hoping for another excellent tying writeup.