Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-30-2013, 03:24 PM

Default Twentymile Today

I normally avoid the park on holiday weekends, but I was in serious need of some on the water time. I figured Elkmont would be over-run with campers, so I elected to skip that area and leave it for the campers. My other alternatives require drives near Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, and I didn't want to get stuck in that traffic mess today. After much deliberation and reviewing maps, I opted for Twentymile. Now, I have to say that this little stream can have multiple personalities, and today was a finicky day. When I arrived at the stream I was shocked to find it stained to the point of almost muddy. Water visibility was probably 4 - 6". Not good since I brought my 2-wt and dry flies, and no big nasty nymphs that one would typically fish in this kind of water. Thankfully, I did find a few willing participants on the dry, but the largest was probably around 4" (hence the lack of fish pictures). I chose to call it a day around noon as the temperatures started to climb. I think I left at just the right time as a group of probably 75 bikes was at Deals Gap getting prepared to make the drive. The drive back along the dragon was a joy as always, although I did see one motorcycle wreck.

It was still nice to get on the water, although the quantity and quality of fish was nothing like my more recent trips. We are going to be camping at Elkmont next weekend, so I hope to take my 5-yr old somewhere up Little River or Jake's Creek since he loves to go fish with me.

Hope everybody has a fun and relaxing Labor Day weekend!

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 08-30-2013, 03:52 PM

Is it still choked with downed trees from last year?

That stream is strange like that. It always seems to have more sediment in the water than others, even when it seems like it hasn't rained much in a while.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Is it still choked with downed trees from last year?

That stream is strange like that. It always seems to have more sediment in the water than others, even when it seems like it hasn't rained much in a while.
Lots of downed trees! In one section it looked like an entire hillside had been logged, as almost every tree was down. Large sections of completely blocked river, resulting in tighter fishing conditions there than I recall.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 08-30-2013, 09:32 PM

The west prong has trees down everywhere too. Sorry to hear about the small fish. At least you have a nice trip with your son to look forward to.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Lots of downed trees! In one section it looked like an entire hillside had been logged, as almost every tree was down. Large sections of completely blocked river, resulting in tighter fishing conditions there than I recall.
Yeah that was part of the July 5 (last year) storm. Blocked off the best part of fishing on that stream. I have fished it twice since then and probably won't be back until much later... Once it gets blown out a couple if times and maybe cleared some.