Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-09-2013, 12:36 PM

Wink 9/8 - Journey to the land of 6" fish

So yesterday afternoon, I decided to take a late afternoon-end of day trip to the land of 6" fish. I was a little worried about traffic, but by and large it was ok

I knew the water level was going to be low, but this was the lowest I have seen it all year

So hiking up the trail, I came across this guy with his head down a hole, but he peeked up when I stopped hiking

I guess I disturbed his lunch

So hiking up further I passed two people that had just finished fishing, and they had done the stretch I intended. I figured I had two choices, either go higher and fish more likely unfished water, return via the manway or stream depending on far I get and likely hike out in the dark, or stick with my original plan and hope the fish had settled down enough. I opted for the second option, because that way if the fishing sucked, I could blame them.

When I got down to the stream, i nearly stepped on this...

Oh yeah, I did eventually fish.

The first pool, I caught the first fish of the day, a baby brookie.

Continued....
Old 09-09-2013, 12:48 PM

So the fishing seemed to be on, but with the low water, I rarely caught more than one pool, so I was moving up the stream much faster than usual too, because of the low low water.

I caught several like this 8" bow

At one point I had one that while he was going nuts trying to get off, I could see him darting through the water. As I got him up to the surface, I noticed 2 more trout, similar in size that were chasing/following him through the run. When he got close to me/the surface the other two darted off.

As I got close to the normal getting out point, I ran into another guy fishing. He had had some luck, but not too much. I went up further (knowing I would now have to hike back down) and the fishing switched up pretty good. I had only been catching rainbows all day (except for a handful of small brookies) Now, as it was getting close to sunset, the bigger brookies were coming out to play.

I caught this guy almost immediately, at 8"+

And finally, I caught this one who was just over 9"

I decided that it wasn't going to get any better than that, so I called it a day.
But not before collecting a pile of otter poop

Stream:

Other direction

Landmark tree

Sunset on the trail

Artsy sunset on the trail

So in hiking down the trail, I came across a guy hiking up. He did not look to be too physically fit and I have no clue why he was headed up with less than hour of sunlight left.

Oh....I found this in a fishes stomach, and it smelled HORRIBLE

Old 09-09-2013, 08:19 PM

Beautiful fish, Dunc! Some of those shots look like they could be right from my home state. Awesome stuff!