Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-12-2013, 10:35 AM

Default Problems with the Elk?

http://www.smokymountainnews.com/out...e-crops-fences

This article is specifically talking about the problems that farmers are having with the Elk, of course they knew some of these things were coming when they introduced them. Out west, they build specific fencing that is "Elk proof", also very expensive.
Anyway, reading this got me thinking, it's odd that I haven't heard of anyone having a run-in with one while fishing. I say that because they don't seem skittish like a white-tail deer, and they're way bigger than a deer. Seems like if one got spooked, or considered you a threat, say, during the rutting season, they could do some serious damage! I saw 2 of them on Raven Fork this summer and they're huge. I personally am more leery of them than a bear, the bear I at least have some idea of how he is probably going to act or react. Those Elk weren't scared of me at all, and to me that seemed dangerous in and of itself.
Anyone have experience with them? I remember seeing someone post pics from Cataloochee a while back of some while fishing.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:04 AM

I've encountered on the trail in cataloochie before. The bull blocked the trail and was snorting at us until all the females behind him crossed to the other side and were away and then he followed them. They are quite big, but I didn't attempt to approach them. The ones that hang in the cataloochie valley are totally unafraid. I frequently see people on the road who drive in there with a bale of hay in the back and the elk eat out of the bed of their truck. This doesn't as happen as much in the busy months because the rangers are there but late I'm the day before dusk and in the winter/early spring I have seen it. Because of this, while stopped on the road, three young males came up my car and I thought one of them was going to stick his head into my drivers side window. Someone will get hurt eventually.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:09 AM

I saw a bunch early this year when I took a trip over to the Oconaluftee. Lots of people were pulled over on the side of the road to take pictures and one of the big males walked straight up to the cars and people. None of them seemed to be bothered at all.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:14 AM

Go to YouTube and type in "elk attack". Lots of examples of friendly elk being not so friendly. Most of them are in parks also.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:34 PM

Just like the way people were with bison in Yellowstone, unfortunately it takes a serious accident to get the attention of most tourons.

When you go to Cataloochee to fish, you see elk. When you see elk on trail, you invade elk's space. When you invade elk's space, elk thinks you are taking his harem. When you take elk's harem, elk gets angry. When elk gets angry, he breaks your fly rod and urinates on your fly box. Don't have your fly rod broken or your flies urinated on.... Go somewhere other than Cataloochee to fish!

That way I can have that beautiful place all to myself.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 09-12-2013, 02:35 PM

I've had elk approach me at Yellowstone. I was fishing the Madison a couple of months ago, and a dozen elk waded the river right in front of me (within 50m). They generally ignore people in Yellowstone, likely because encounters are so common.

I also nearly hooked a Mule Deer on a backcast before I noticed it. I was fishing Slough Creek below the campground in YNP, and the deer walked up behind me on the bank before I saw it. I didn't miss it by more than a foot.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:55 PM

I'm in agreement with ChemEAngler when it comes to any large wild animal, no matter how tame they may seem. I've been to the Tetons and Yellowstone many times and never approach too closely to a large critter such as a moose, elk, buffalo, or bear. The animals are too unpredictable , especially during the rut. I've included a pic of a Cataloochee bull that about put his head in my window without my encouraging him..during his approach from at least 100 yds away, there wasn't anyone within 50yds of where we were pulled off the road. When I took the pic, there were several dozen people with cameras crowded in close ..I just knew someone named Moe Ron would set that bull off and he would commence to trash my car. I was thinking how I could convince my insurance man how it got destroyed.
Another incident occurred this past July when I was fishing in the Gros Ventre and had to retreat quickly due to my being approached by a moose cow with her calf..The pic shows
them about to get in the water, but I wasn't about to let them get any closer. A hunting guide friend of mine who lives there told me a long time ago that a momma moose was more dangerous and aggressive than a female grizzly. My rule of thumb is to keep my distance .

Mike[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 PM

here's the elk pic[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 PM

My sisters 40lb female goat gets her head hung in the fence on occasion...if I try to push her head back I can't. I hate to think of how strong an elk is.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:59 PM

The problem over at Cataloochie is the visitors feeding them. my family were over there last fall and there were people feeding them apples right at the barn. Now that's a disaster waiting to happen. I said something to one of the folks and they looked at me like I was crazy. The husband pretty much told me to mind my own business and I told him I was trying to save him a trip to town in the back of vehicle and a stiff fine. That vehicle could be an ambulance or a cruiser. People think its a petting zoo.
Elk are huge animals and are a real danger if they become habituated. Especially during the rut.
Lynn