Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-13-2014, 10:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default tellico and north river 9/13

Well with an awesome forecast and no real football worth watching on TV till 8 pm (Penn state game...not the vols..) I headed to tellico with my two children and a friend. We started with some roadside gensing hunting...found none...and then headed up to the north river. We fished just a few holes none of which I think we got a cast into before my kids got a handful of rocks into first. I caught a medium bow and had another on and my friend ended up catching catching a legit 10-11 in her out of water barely deep enough to conceal its dorsal fin, and followed that up on the very next cast with another bow about 7 inches. I even got my 6 year old into the action. He caught chub after chub on his first fly fishing trip and he was quite excited to say the least. I love fishing with kids at times because there are no trash fish and nothing too small.

After a quick stop at the hatchery to see a few thousand fish ( I think I was more excited than my kids were) we hit one more hole on the tellico. We ended up catching 3 from the decent sized hole. 2 wild fish and one good stocker.

All in all it was a great day. Im not sure why I don't fish tellico more often anymore. It has tons of access, big browns, wild fish, stocked fish, and after about May less pressure than even some back country smoky streams...
Old 09-13-2014, 10:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

By the way I caught a 3 inch brown on the north...way up on the north too...always a good sign
Old 09-14-2014, 08:28 AM

Heck yeah! The north river has plenty of good size wild rainbows. I've caught a lot in the 10-11 inch range. The tellico area is one of my favorite areas to fish. I agree about the main river though. Once the seasonal stocking is over with the main river heats up. My friend caught a NICE stocker last week on the main river. In the fall during the DH dry fly action for stockers can be awesome. Probably gonna hit it up today. Thanks for the report!

Here's a pic of the big stocker. Got her on a wooly bigger to beat it all. After I had already nymphed the hole. Go figure. Lmao

Old 09-15-2014, 09:01 PM

[QUOTE=Robinryder2;112563]Heck yeah! The north river has plenty of good size wild rainbows. I've caught a lot in the 10-11 inch range. The tellico area is one of my favorite areas to fish. I agree about the main river though. Once the seasonal stocking is over with the main river heats up. My friend caught a NICE stocker last week on the main river. In the fall during the DH dry fly action for stockers can be awesome. Probably gonna hit it up today. Thanks for the report!

Here's a pic of the big stocker. Got her on a wooly bigger to beat it all. After I had already nymphed the hole. Go figure. Lmao QUOTE]

A thin mint bugger is my favorite big trout fly. They do work and the stockers love them.