Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 03-19-2015, 12:07 PM

Default Poacher Advice & Recommendations

This isn't necessarily fishing related, but it does have to deal with anybody who owns property that they may choose to either hunt or fish on. Over the past couple of years we have had an increase in poacher activity on the family farm. Originally it was relatively minor with blasted ginseng and coon hunters, then we started finding turkey carcasses along the roadside, and this past deer season we had somebody actually take a ground blind. In addition to that one of our neighbors has spotted somebody on at least 4 occasions in full camo walking on our property, and it wasn't me or my dad. The most recent of these was twice this past week, and there isn't even anything open to hunting currently. We have posted the property extensively and talked with TWRA, but they said that there is nothing they can do unless the person is caught in the act. We have narrowed down where at least one of these individuals is entering the property, and are going to put up cameras to try and catch him. Does anybody out there have any other recommendations?

We have invested too many years of labor and money into the farm to let some entitled scumbag come on and pilfer our land. The farm is in a relatively poor area, and there are a lot of new transient neighbors that I fear are the ones doing this. I am tempted to offer a reward for a tip that leads to an arrest and conviction of any poachers. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Sorry to detract from the fishing focus here, but this is something that many property owners deal with and maybe we can share some ideas to help each other out.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 03-19-2015, 01:41 PM

I think your approach of cameras is perhaps the best and safest method. If you have an idea where this person is parking the vehicle, you may want to place a camera in close proximity to obtain a licence number for easy identification. Good Luck!
Old 03-19-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman01 View Post
I think your approach of cameras is perhaps the best and safest method. If you have an idea where this person is parking the vehicle, you may want to place a camera in close proximity to obtain a licence number for easy identification. Good Luck!
Funny you mention where they are parking. Ironically, he is parking in a neighboring church parking lot and walking across the cemetery and onto our farm... The church has security cameras installed, it is just a matter of getting somebody to allow us to see the footage and catch the guy accessing our property.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 03-20-2015, 05:51 AM

Deterrence is the biggest protection and easiest to implement!
  • Get Custom No Trespassing signs made with contact information. Make a logo for your farm and give it a name. This will tell someone you are serious, active, and different than you typical farm.
  • Game cameras are fabulous and they help in making a case.
    • A case is more important than calling for particular trespass. If you want long-term relief; make a case and document the work with a timeline. Make it easy to handover to an official to pursue.
  • If you feel the person is constantly poaching your land; hire a good PI and have them build a case. Take it to court and litigate for damages and costs. Note; winning and getting your judgement are two-different challenges.
  • Meet with your neighbors and share contact information and make a cooperative to watch each others' land.
  • Be very cognitive in not posting signs or promoting threatening statements as deterrence. In the event of a catastrophe; this could be used against your family.
Hope this helps.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-20-2015, 06:10 AM

I feel for you, this is one of the reasons I don't invest my money in leases that are in certain areas. If you prosecute someone for trespassing , chances are the locals will not be happy, most are related and things could get worse. If you go the camera route, get some good lock boxes for your cameras and mount on really large oaks.... I mean huge! I've known them to take a chainsaw and cut the camera section out and carry it off. Best thing that worked for us was to be friendly and get to know the locals, then in general conversation mention that several members on the property were state troopers. Word travels fast and this helped more than anything. It's aggravating I know, but different set of rules and mindset in some areas.

Trailcampro is a good place for lock boxes and camera info.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:08 AM

Something else that helps is to stagger your days visiting the property, this keeps them from patterning you. I know time off from work can be hard, but if some shift work is an option this might allow for visits during the week, rather than just showing up on the weekends. We never had any luck with TWRA pursuing anyone, if you know someone on the inside you might have better luck.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:32 AM

frustrating indeed. Having property in Tennessee but living full time in Cincy, we too experience things time to time that most likely would not have happened if we lived down there. After we purchased the property, the next hunting season two tree stands appeared on our land. There were trails on the property where ATV's had been driving so we built a huge dirt mound to demise the property line and then placed no trespassing signs there and around the land; obviously that did not deter these two from placing tree stands. Thinking it through, I climbed the trees and took the stands down and stretch wrapped a note to the trees stating that I have their stands and left my phone number to contact me. I only received on call, I gave him his stand back with the understanding that he was not to be hunting on my property anymore. He claimed the land had been up for sale for a long period of time and did not know I had purchased it. I said fine, I get that but please find another place to hunt and that was the end of it. More frustrating than the hunters, Tennessee Valley Electric Coop had hired a group to do right of way clearing for the power lines located close to our property. One of the tractor drivers drove from the clearing sight, about 500 yards to the area the ATV's were accessing our property, He drove over the mound literally flattening it, knocked down two small trees and then changed his oil right on the ground, leaving his filter and makeshift funnel. We followed the tracks and located the tractor, it was a weekend so no one was working and I took down all the information. I called TVEC, they were there on Monday with a dump truck and backhoe. They dug up and removed the contaminated dirt, replaced with new soil, seeded it and rebuilt the mound that was leveled. I get your pain brother.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:47 PM

----deleted

Last edited by Joe Congleton; 03-26-2015 at 08:27 AM..