Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 PM

Default Trout Feeding Time?

Is there a time of day that there is a better chance of trout feeding or is it timed only to when the insects swarm?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:44 AM

Trout that are in streams/rivers are opportunistic feeders and are eating practically all the time. Because they are continually swimming against current, they are expending calories and must feed to maintain and grow. what and how they are feeding on will depend on the variety of insects in the stream. Depending on weather conditions and water temps, if there is a good hatch, you will most likely see rising trout sipping bugs off the surface or coming out of the water chasing an emerging caddis. If there is no surface activity, they are feeding subsurface. Trout typically feed about 80% of the time subsurface munching of nymphs and other larvea that are in the water. You can turn over rocks and see what is on the bottom of them or do some seining to see what nymphs and larvea are swimming around. Match these patterns and you should have some success virtually anytime.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:00 AM

Typically, trout will feed in patterns that can be discernible with certain environmental conditions.

As flyman01 posted, they are opportunistic and need to maintain a caloric intake to survive. That being said; some of the best feeding times are:

• Sunrise (not hindered by fog)
  • Sunset (I am not completely sure why; but, there has always been a short window of high feeding activity before dark).

*Pay attention to the bug activity on top of the water. Look for hatching midges, empty shucks, etc. If this is minimal; fish deep, slow, and downward drifts.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 10-01-2013, 11:55 AM

I once read an article on behavioral drift. Certain insects like a particular place in a stream and can become over crowded. So to remedy this a percentage release themselves in the drift to a new section of stream. If my memory serves me correctly this happens twice a day. I'm not It sure if it happens all year long though. Maybe water temps have something to do with it. Maybe someone with a better memory has read the same article and can correct me if I steared you wrong. I would assume at this time the fish feed more heavily.

Lynn