Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-18-2013, 10:58 AM

Default Hunter's moon starts tonite

OK, here's a post and a question gratefully not related to the government!

Tonight is the start of the Hunter's or Harvest moon, do the fish party all night and sleep in and should I do the same and wait for afternoon shift?
(Old wives or fisherman tales accepted)

(Disclosure: All attempts for misleading information by known felons on this board will result in fishhole poaching when I catch up with you!!

(Below is info from earthsky.org -nice site for all things heavenly)

The full moon on Friday night and into Saturday morning – the night of October 18-19, 2013 – will undergo a subtle lunar eclipse. It’ll be the last lunar eclipse of 2013. This is a special moon for us anyway, in the Northern Hemisphere: it’s the Hunter’s Moon. This penumbral lunar eclipse is not as striking as a total, or even partial, eclipse of the moon. But very observant people, and/or photographers, might be able to see or capture it.
Be forewarned. The moon will not dip into the Earth’s dark umbral shadow during this eclipse. At no time will it appear as if a dark bite has been taken from the moon. At best, the penumbral eclipse may be seen as a shading of the moon’s southern limb. This is a relatively deep penumbral eclipse, however, with 76% of the moon shaded by the Earth’s penumbral shadow at mid-eclipse.

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Last edited by bigsur; 10-18-2013 at 02:09 PM..
Old 10-18-2013, 11:08 AM

As long as it's legal where you plan to fish, go NIGHT FISHING... Of course, don't try it in the Park but pick a tailwater and give it a shot...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-18-2013, 09:57 PM

Hey David.

Loving the blog. I will be moving to Breck in January!

Going to take a month and just fish and hike and ski and...and...and.

Cant wait to get on the Blue.

Jim
Old 10-18-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMt4runner View Post
Hey David.

Loving the blog. I will be moving to Breck in January!

Going to take a month and just fish and hike and ski and...and...and.

Cant wait to get on the Blue.

Jim
Man that's awesome! You should like it there. What a beautiful area to live. Shoot me an email when you head out and let's wet a line together sometime.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-19-2013, 07:53 AM

Night fishing in the Smokies is all fun and games until you snag a tree:

Last edited by chechem; 10-20-2013 at 10:10 AM..
Old 10-19-2013, 09:35 AM

Bigsur,
I don't have any actual evidence to support this, but it seems that around the full moon, especially on nights with clear skies, the fishing reports from anglers aren't very good. I suspect that they are feeding at night.
Especially since overnight temperatures are going to be so cold this weekend, I would sleep in and hit the rivers in the afternoon.

Daniel
Old 10-20-2013, 09:48 AM

[QUOTE=D-Drake;108674]Bigsur,
I don't have any actual evidence to support this, but it seems that around the full moon, especially on nights with clear skies, the fishing reports from anglers aren't very good. I suspect that they are feeding at night.
Especially since overnight temperatures are going to be so cold this weekend, I would sleep in and hit the rivers in the afternoon.

Daniel, I think you are on target, one of the reasons I asked the question was a fishing buddy I hit the NC waters with noticed the days I hit numbers or big ones there seems to be a pattern with particular moon phases. I hit Elkmont yesterday from 1:30 to 3:30 afternoon. Their were lots of leaf peepers and hikers, but not that many fly guys. The leaves are the perfect color at that elevation, with lots of them in the water making casting sometimes tuff but a beautiful fall day. Have a few shots of fish and Elkmont will post tomorrow, gonna hit the tailwater today, I hope everyone gets a chance to get out whether fishing or just enjoying our Smoky Mtn fall!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"