Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-09-2013, 01:37 PM

Default Where Rivers (Creeks, Prongs, etc.) Run Through... and Beyond It

Here is a partial list of streams that flow past the boundary of Great Smoky Mountains National Park. In addition to the waters outside the park lying within state, municipal or other jurisdictions, some are under under private ownership. Access to private property is a privilege, not a right. See very important notes on the topic "Access To Private Land For Fishing Streams and Rivers" on TWRA's web site. (Scroll down once the page opens.) Similar guidance is likely available through the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission site.

Abrams Creek (1)
Big Creek (1)
Cataloochee Creek (2)
Cosby Creek (1)
Deep Creek (1)
Dudley Creek (3)
Eagle Creek (4)
Forney Creek (4)
Hazel Creek (4)
Indian Camp Creek (1)
Le Conte Creek (3)
Little Pigeon River (1)
Little River (1)
Noland Creek (4)
Oconaluftee River (1)(5)
Parson Branch (1)
Raven Fork (lower boundary crossing) (1)(5)
Raven Fork (upper boundary crossing) (1)(6)
Roaring Fork (3)
Straight Fork (1)(6)
Tabcat Creek (1)
Twentymile Creek (1)
West Prong Little Pigeon River (3)

1 - LIMITED or NO PARKING SPACE AVAILABLE
2 - Park boundary is just upstream of confluence with Pigeon River (Waterville Lake)
3 - Park boundary is shared with that of Gatlinburg, downstream of which waters are under City of Gatlinburg's Fishing License Requirements
4 - Park boundary is at confluence with Little Tennessee River (Fontana Lake)
5 - Lowest portions (below Oconaluftee Visitor Center) are Enterprise Waters under Cherokee Fish Management Rules & Regulations. (CFM Rules & Regulations apply outside the park boundary as well).
6 - Park boundary is shared with that of Cherokee Indian Reservation (Qualla Boundary) where Cherokee Fish Management Rules & Regulations apply

Last edited by JoeFred; 10-09-2013 at 02:10 PM..
Old 10-13-2013, 03:46 PM

Smile Trout like fall colors too

Just wondering if the rainbows might be moving further down the Little Pigeon toward the Greenbrier entrance during the reprieve from leaf lookers and rock chuckers. There are some nice cabins in Pittman Center across the road that may have vacancies for a change this time of year. I'm afraid I have exceeded my vacation budget ceiling for this year.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:42 PM

Thanks for posting all that useful info Fred.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
Just wondering if the rainbows might be moving further down the Little Pigeon toward the Greenbrier entrance during the reprieve from leaf lookers and rock chuckers. There are some nice cabins in Pittman Center across the road that may have vacancies for a change this time of year. I'm afraid I have exceeded my vacation budget ceiling for this year.
Once you get into the Pittman Center area (across 321 from the National Park), the river is stocked by Sevier County.

Cosby Creek is stocked as well, beginning immediately after it departs the national park. I have several cabins on Cosby Creek several miles downstream from the NP, and there are always plenty of nice stockers to catch.

The locals, however, fish Cosby Creek for food as much or more as for sport, so the areas that are public can get cleaned out pretty quickly.