Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-26-2013, 08:35 PM

Default Fall on the Elk River

Hit up the Elk River the other day to just relax and search out some smaller fish that I didn't have to run after in order to net... In addition to taking in the colorful fall scenery which surrounded me, I also found a few takers on the streamer I was throwing. However, the highlight of the afternoon was a beautiful little brownie on a small adams pattern just before dusk, as the skeeters had come out in force. He pounded the dry, which included a cartwheel flip, coming right out of the water in front of me. Put on a pretty good show for me with that take and enjoyed every second of it. I really do like slinging dries on that river when the opportunity presents itself...

He fell head over heels for the adams...

Tight Lines,

Last edited by tnflyfisher; 10-26-2013 at 10:36 PM..
Old 10-26-2013, 11:15 PM

It probably feels good to give your arms a rest after that last trip. Nice fish.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 PM

That's a nice fish for that river. I always struggle for browns there.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:53 AM

AL,

From my experience I feel that the Elk actually has a healthy population of browns in the 12" to 20" category for the size of the river however they do not show themselves all that often... I have even had my hands on fish larger than that a few times over the years but that's all I'm saying.. What I will say is that there are certainly things that help increase your chances at finding quality fish down there. Or up there in your case.. Low light!! It is a fairly shallow river overall and can be super clear at times. My best days have always been right before dark or on heavily overcast days. Another thing, don't be afraid to go big. I know there are a ton of 8" fish in there but throw streamers anyway... Also, if you only ever fish up at the dam, you are somewhat limiting yourself IMO. You really need to get out on the rest of the river if one truly wants to increase their chances of finding those bigger fish. Hopefully this will help a bit...

Tight Lines,

Last edited by tnflyfisher; 10-31-2013 at 10:21 PM..
Old 10-31-2013, 07:23 PM

Wow! what a nice brown. I love it when they go for the small stuff.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnflyfisher View Post
AL,

From my experience I feel that the Elk actually has a healthy population of browns in the 12" to 20" category for the size of the river however they do not show themselves all that often... I have even had my hands on fish larger than that a few times over the years but that's all I'm saying.. What I will say is that there are certainly things that help increase your chances at finding quality fish down there. Or up there in your case.. Low light!! It is a fairly shallow river overall and can be super clear at times. My best days have always been right before dark or on heavily overcast days. Another thing, don't be afraid to go big. I know there are a ton of 8" fish in there but throw streamers anyway... Also, if you only ever fish up at the dam, you are somewhat limiting yourself IMO. You really need to get out on the rest of the river if one truly wants to increase their chances of finding those bigger fish. Hopefully this will help a bit...

Tight Lines,
How can I get in touch with you?
Old 11-03-2013, 10:30 PM

Feel free to shoot me an email...
tnflyfisher@yahoo.com

Tight Lines,