Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 11-05-2013, 10:25 AM

Default Tenkara

I have been experimenting with Tenkara and i think I have fallen in love. It makes it so easy to get that perfect drift in the smokies. Only issue I am running into is I can't seem to find the Tenkara flies available. They are usually a reverse hackle. I am hoping to start tying but I haven't gotten that far yet. Anyone looking to make a little cash a tie some for me?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:03 PM

I have fished Tenkara for the last couple of years in the Smokies in additon to my standard 5wt and my new 2 wt. I have found I have just as good as luck with the standard Smokies flys I use on western rigs. However you can find a selection thru Tenkara USA which also offers the rods thru Orvis which I imagine LRO has access to also. The drifts can be easier and put you in currents behind rocks that are sometimes hard to get with standard set ups but I enjoy all methods and change up to keep life interesting. Good Luck with it!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 11-09-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
I have been experimenting with Tenkara and i think I have fallen in love. It makes it so easy to get that perfect drift in the smokies. Only issue I am running into is I can't seem to find the Tenkara flies available. They are usually a reverse hackle. I am hoping to start tying but I haven't gotten that far yet. Anyone looking to make a little cash a tie some for me?
I too began using a Tenkara rod this year in the park. I went with a 12' Iwana and have really enjoyed it. While the park was closed in October, I had to hike in a mile or so to fish and the collapsed length of the Tenkara was really handy! Caught my best fish in the park on this rod, a beautiful Brown about 15" long and the rod handled it great. It's really just a super nice Bream Buster and heavy on the "nice" part! If I get another Tenkara it will be 13 feet.

As for flies, I'm just using the typical Smokies flies (Never Sink Caddis, Stimulators, bead head nymphs, etc.) but do intend to tie up some "Tenkara style" flies in that reverse partridge hackle way I saw on YouTube. Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:27 AM

Look here for some flies. http://www.tenkarabum.com Tell Chris I sent you for a special deal.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 PM

Lightbulb

What is the advantage in fishing Tenkara flies vs just regular attractor patterns? I looked at some of them. They look easy enough to tie. I'm not sure what advantage the hackle being turned around like it is? Maybe I need to tie a few and try them.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 PM

I started tenkara fishing about this time last year and have done so almost exclusively since then. The advantages to me (of tenkara, not the flies) are:

- simpler, smaller set up (no reel, plus I can put a spare rod in my pack)
- good method to get a near perfect drift
- for some reason the simplicity appeals to me and seems more fun. Almost the more primitive the better, that's just me

It's definitely not magic, and not everyone's thing but I really like it and have also been using mostly western flies. Try a topwater like a neversink and a woolly worm or something similar. I think you could fish all season with just those 2, although I don't get into the "one fly" thing.

I know I could have pared down my traditional fly fishing outfit too and had some of the same experience, but since I started tenkara fishing, I can fit all of my gear for a day - including 2 rods, several flies, extra tippet (4lb flouro), water bottle, snacks, all in one small Camelbak bag. Easy to just grab and go.

Last edited by Slider; 11-15-2013 at 10:07 PM..
Old 11-15-2013, 12:56 PM

Flyman's question mirrors something I've wondered - what is the thought behind the flies themselves? Why do they use reversed hackle?

steve
Old 11-15-2013, 07:17 PM

The flies are just flies. They work no better than western flies. I use western flies, dry, wet s/h's and nymphs. The reverse hackle gives the fly a lot of action as you are retrieving the fly. It works the same as a standard soft hackle. Most Kebari flies are tyed on hook sizes about 6 and 8.
The original flies were tyed with plain thread and hen hackle, very simply.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:39 PM

The reverse hackle flies do have good action and you can fish them at most levels of the water column so some tenkara fisherman that use them leave them on in most fishing situations and hence spend more time fishing than changing flies.

Could do the same with a woolly worm or traditional soft hackle fly, etc. I think many tenkara guys go with the reverse hackle because it seems to be the trad fly for the gear (total guess on my part), but for reasons mentioned above I think it would be an effective fly - but so would most if you put it in the water, in front of the fish, with the right presentation.

But to skunked again, I would be glad to tie you some and send to you but mine are not great:

If you want some though, send me a pm with your address and I'll send you a dozen or so, but it's as good as time as ever to start tying and tie you some woolly worms. The ones in the pics are tied with deer hair and don't have as much action as feather hackle. I have since started using squirrel hair for hackle and it moves better, but still not as good as feathers, but I don't use feathers cause I'm cheap.

Here's one (kind of) with a bead and using squirrel hair.

I've quit using reverse hackle flies but did give them a whirl.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:19 PM

Well guys I broke down and bought a fly tying kit....we will see how it goes. Thanks for yalls input!