Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 11-09-2013, 11:08 PM

When you say "this year", do you mean 2013? If so, Ystone is not an option. Otherwise, by all means go to Ystone. Let your wife do some research to figure out what kind of trip she'd like in the area. You can easily plan out many quality fishing opportunities around what will keep her happy.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:22 AM

Surfdog- I am a campground host for the Forest Service about at Crazy Creek in the Wyoming Shoshone National Forest about 10 miles east of Cooke City- Silver Gate. If you get tired of the crowds in YNP, I can put you on some lesser known not as crowded streams in Wyoming and on some mountain lakes filled with Brookies 8-14 inches long. I spend very little time in YNP due to crowds and still get my fishing fix out there. Let me know if you want some info.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:54 PM

kytroutbum, I just looked at a map and see that your just minutes away from the cabin,wow what a great area to be spending summers. I will look into the wyoming license. Where can I get trail/fishing maps for that area. I checked the shosone web site and could not find info on fishing license required. Any info your willing to give would be much appreciated.

Last edited by surfdog; 11-10-2013 at 03:13 PM..
Old 11-10-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog View Post
kytroutbum, I just looked at a map and see that your just minutes away from the cabin,wow what a great area to be spending summers. I will look into the wyoming license. Where can I get trail/fishing maps for that area. I checked the shosone web site and could not find info on fishing license required. Any info your willing to give would be much appreciated.
You can get a WY lic on line, or in Cody
Old 11-10-2013, 08:31 PM

Surfdog and anyone else interested-

I came to this area about 20 years ago to fish YNP but find myself actually fishing the PARK less every year. The Shoshone NF and the Beartooth Mt.s provide a more wilderness type experience with its lakes and streams. We have traded somewhat larger Cutts and the Crowds of YNP for the more plentiful, slightly smaller Brookies and a less crowded conditions.

Wyo licenses-You can pick one up in Cooke City- (Yes I know its Montana) at the Bearclaw Bakery or the Cooke City General Store. Top of the World Store in the Beartooth Hwy between Beartooth and Island Lake. Clarks Fork and Spoon on 296 at Crandall also has them. You will probably NOT find internet or cell phone service out there.

There is a book- Fishing the Beartooths. The fishing info is dated and inaccurate but it has lake descriptions. The size of the trout is usually dependent upon the winterkill. The less fish in a lake, the more food, the larger they will be. We find some Ice on parts of lakes in Mid July. The Quality of fishing changes from Lake to Lake yearly. Brookies (up to 8-14 inches) have supersaturated any lake with connecting streams. Wyo G&F have their hands full keeping them from pushing out the Cutts. I've caught 10-12 inch fish in trickles between lakes. We fish lakes that are usually a 1/2 hour or more off the Beartooth Hwy. We encourage people to Catch and EAT all the Brookies they want (legal limits of course).

The Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone is the main stream in the area, with several tribs that contain Cutts and Brookies. If you have access to a float tube or boat/kayak I can put you into some Grayling in a lake. My email is: randallsale@att.net let me know if you might be interested in outside of the park fishing.
If you check out Tim Wade's North Fork Angler's website from Cody, they describe the Clark's Fork of the Y area and the Beartooth Mountain Lakes.

Randall Sale