Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-09-2013, 04:21 PM

Default Holston River

We will be in the Morristown area the last two weeks in November. I was wondering if anyone has been fishing the Holston River. I have never fished it in the fall but have heard some years it can be rather good. If anyone could provide some information in this matter I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old 11-10-2013, 06:44 PM

If you are asking about the The Holston below Cherokee Dam it generally runs high water temperatures in the fall,from early August through the end of the year. Any trout caught in these warm water times is stressed and many believe the recovery rate fro released fish to survival is very low when these water temps are in the mid sixties to perhaps in excess of seventy degrees. I have tried to rationalize fishing it in the fall but when l see the condition of the fish l am releasing l realize it is not doing next years fishery any favors, and l dont think released fish in those temps have much of a survival chance.. This year the Clinch and the Holston both hit very warm temperatures earlier than usual and have not cooled off to an acceptable fishing temperature (at least not acceptable to my own fishing ethic). my two cents. others have a different view l guess as l read on here about people fishing it now. If you were talking about the South Holston below South Holston Dam there is a lot of info in older posts on this board.

Last edited by Joe Congleton; 11-10-2013 at 09:10 PM..
Old 11-11-2013, 07:56 PM

The water temp this morning at Nances was 62 degrees, plenty cold enough to fish without harming the fish
Old 11-12-2013, 11:14 AM

Default holston report

Waterwolf, do you have a fishing report for the Holston ? I haven't fished it since May. Didn't think it fished well in the fall.
c.v.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeye valdez View Post
Waterwolf, do you have a fishing report for the Holston ? I haven't fished it since May. Didn't think it fished well in the fall.
c.v.
I do not, I was in the area and decided to drop in and check the water temp based on earlier comments which I thought were likely incorrect.

Even if the temps are fine as they appear to be, fishing can be suspect this time of year. Give it a few weeks though and it can improve.