Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 11-07-2013, 09:15 PM

Default Need info on western fly fishing

I am wanting to go out west somewhere to fly fish this year. Problem is I don't know where to go. I will hire a guide so that's no problem. The problem is I want a place that I can also double as a vacation with my wife. Any and all recommendation or suggestions I would greatly appreciate Near any national parks or tourist areas. Thanks in advance for your help
Old 11-07-2013, 11:24 PM

Yellowstone would be my first choice staying in either West Yellowstone or Gardner. Hire the guide to float the Madison or Yellowstone River and then do your own fishing in the Park. Colorado is awesome too and my recommendation for Colorado would probably be based out of Durango. If you are interested in Colorado, shoot me an email if you have questions, and I'll try to steer you in the right direction.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 AM

I agree with Mr. Knapp, Yellowstone is a perfect place to plan for vacationing and fishing. You can get lodging in the park which I understand is very nice; we have always stayed in Jackson Wy. so I am somewhat biased on where to stay. The park itself is awesome, driving through the landscape changes so much it is like visiting different worlds! As for fishing, quality rivers are in abundance; there is the Gros Ventre, Snake, Green, Salt, Madison, Yellowstone, Gibbon and the list just goes on. Jack Dennis Outfitters are located in Jackson, a very reputable store with very friendly and knowledgeable guides. I have used their services on a number of occasions for float trips on the South fork of the Snake, the Green and the Salt Rivers. Each one of these trips were very productive and very scenic, I highly recommend these rivers. Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:35 PM

It may depend on what your wife wants to do on vacation. If she is happy in enjoying nature and game viewing Yellowstone Park would be great. If she wants to shop, see some sights and enjoys the comforts of should I say city life then you may want to consider staying in Bozeman, Mt. Cody is another good choice. Close to Yellowstone, shopping and you don't want to miss the Buffalo Bill Museum. Allow two days for the museum. Tim Wade @ Northfork Anglers has good guides who know the waters and provide some excellent fishing often avoiding some of the crowds. Then again she may wish to float with you on some of the trips. Game viewing and some great scenery are always there. Everyone seems to have their favorite and you may wish to stay a couple of days in several different locations. On our first trip out West we visited several locations. Planning the trip is half the fun and I don't think you will go wrong in any of the choices given on this board.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:12 PM

what about fishing the henry fork? I would definately have to do this ona budget so no fancy lodges or anything just a quality hotel. my wife loves the outdoors and animal watching. also she loves the museums and anything with the history of the area.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:40 AM

I would also suggest the Yellowstone area. Instead of staying in the Park I would suggest Campfire Lodge and Resort, don't worry about the resort part. It is situated between Hebgan and Quake Lakes on the Madison. The cabins are very reasonably priced, a fly shop and Cafe' on site. From there it is 18 miles to the Park, about 20 miles to the HF. The Gallatin is just a short drive, in western terms. As is the Ruby, Big Hole and Beaverhead. Call Jim or Wendie and tell them I sent you for a special deal.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:54 AM

Flyred06 it seems to me if you want to stay within a budget and still hire a guide I would look at staying in Livingston, Mt and booking with Long Outfitters. There is a nice Comfort Inn there with very reasonable prices. Long Outfitters seem to have the best guide rates. They mainly fish the Yellowstone but I have fished the Madison with them as well. I have not fished with them for awhile but Northfork outfitters in Cody did have some of the best prices for guided trips. I think Cody is often overlooked. On the plus side it is a nice destination and can have simply awesome fishing. On our last trip my wife and I had a 70 fish day on the Clarksfork. While I have not fished in either place it seems to me the guide trips in Idaho are a little pricey and the prices in Colorado simply blow me away. But there are always exceptions and everyone had their own opinion. With a little research I am certain your wife and you will have a great time.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:28 AM

FlyRed, I too am planning my first trip to yellowstone for next july . I'm doing a lot of research and have decided to rent homes in silvergate and westyellowstone for a week each. There are so many guide books for both fishing and hiking it is hard to choose one, I've purchased a couple of each and see how they compare rivers and hikes and combine the info. If you have not used the vrbo.com web site give it a try theres a lot of great properties in many price ranges.I'm interested in fishing away from the crowds on some of the smaller rivers/creeks(pebble,fan,hellroaring) The home I am renting in west yellowstone is on the madison and the you can see it on vrbo its called flies and lies . have a great time
Old 11-09-2013, 11:41 AM

So many options out west, but I agree with David.

Yellowstone is probably at the top of most flyfishermen's bucket list. Although, his recommendation for Durango is a good one, and in fact is a favorite fishing destination for my wife and I. Depending on time of year you plan to go will also dictate where to go. Durango is typically fishable earlier in the year than places in northern CO, WY, or MT due to the climate. If you won't be there until June/July then you have many more options.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 11-09-2013, 10:16 PM

Took my wife to The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs for our anniversary this summer. Hired a guide who drove me up to the N Platte River and had a blast. Caught an 18 inch brown among others.

Another spot I'm trying to get to before winter is the Truckee River outside of Reno/Tahoe. I have a client up there and have fished it one time in town. The best fishing is about an hour west of Reno.

Hope this helps. Good luck.