Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-13-2013, 06:23 PM

Default Last Hurrah....

I made one last trip to the Park before the end of my fishing season...I live too far away to drive all the way up there during the winter season to toss lead at trout-sicles!! My brother and I drove over from Columbia, SC on Saturday and headed to Roaring Fork.

The Burg was rediculous with the last of the peepers and the football fans for the game. There was the requisite bear jam on the motor trail before making the last pull out before leaving the park.

Sun never came out but had a 25-30 fish day fishing para adams on the top. Also had action on a bead head PT but if they are hitting dries who would want to fish a nymph. Water was tolerable and wet waded through the gorge and up to the last bridge. With the water level down it is a lot easier fishing this section.

Waited for the sun to come up on Sunday and warm things up before heading to the WPLP. I like the lower water levels down in this area because it allows access to more water and easier crossings. Began with a Thunderhead with a leadwing coachman dropper. Soon cut the dropper with all the hits coming on the surface. All our fish on Sunday were caught on dries. After a nice trout took me under a rock and broke me off I switched to a number 14 PMX in yellow...the fish kept hitting this with abandon and my brother finished off the day with a nice 12" rainbow on a sparkle stimulator. Another high number day and all on dries. Don't be afraid to still go to some bigger flies on a sunny day...I think the fish know the lean times are just around the corner and will eat those meaty bugs if given a chance.

The worse part of right now is the amount of dead leaves on the river banks...just cannot tell where you are stepping...so be careful.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:27 PM

Man that sounds like so much fun. I love when the fish are looking up this time of year. Glad you had a good trip!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-13-2013, 08:10 PM

Default Saturday

Nice report.

I was at Roaring Fork Saturday also. I fished from the last bridge downstream a ways, then back up. Thought I had a decent day with 4 fish and 10 or so good strikes on top (until I read your 25-30 ).

Fished a nymph at first but ended up getting what action I did on yellow and orange Neversink Caddises. Only had 4 of these (2 yellow, 2 orange) which I ultimately lost to the trees and went back to some killer bugs without much success.

Next time out, I'm tying up a dozen or so of my foam caddises in yellow.

Traffic at 6 am was great, at 10:00 pretty much stunk.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:06 PM

One last good one always makes the winter a little more bearable. I've always liked fishing larger dries. The only reason I switch to a smaller patter is because I'm getting refusals. I hope I can slip another day or two in before winter sets in.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:10 PM

I don't like to limit myself to always trying to match the hatch...not afraid to put something on the water that might make them curious...just don't ever know...one of my best afternoons was fishing a big old hornburg wet fly dressed up and floated like a dry fly....go figure
Old 11-14-2013, 01:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

How about that for flies most people don't know of let alone use..a hornberg and a lead wing coachman...love those older pattdrns!