Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-18-2013, 12:45 AM

Default Weird Day

A couple of weekends ago me and some buddy's rented a house with private riverfront on the SoHo. The house is down low on the western side of the river dang near Bluff City.
Across the river some people that owned a big cabin were building an additional cabin on the same property.
While they were building the cabin fri.-sat., they had two big German Shepards running around innocuously.
Both dogs and owners were friendly.
Anyway, we were fishing sun. morning and I noticed the owners driving off leaving the dogs to run free.
So, I continued fishing til I got within about 30ft., in knee deep water, from " their" bank.
Out of the blue one of the shepards came charging across the property snarling ferociously and stopped with its paws barely in the water just goin nuts.
So I started slowly back pedaling to find me a more relaxing run when the other big a$$ dog comes running across their property straight at me (going nuts), leaps into the water, and chomps hard into my retreating butt knocking me down in the process.
It was on me hard and all I could think of was to protect my neck.
I rolled on my back and started kicking and yelling at the dog (again, in the middle of the river!), it bit the crap out my foot and finally took off back to shore like nothing happened.
It ripped a big hole in the butt of my Simms and my toe felt broken.
After getting my soaked clothes off I found a big blooming bruise on my butt and a big bruise on my foot.
I waited another hr. to see if the owners would return.
They didn't and I headed back to K-town and my waders headed to Bozeman.
I actually turned down racing a motorcycle woods race for hitting the SoHo instead.
Guess I shoulda done the safe thing and raced.
Fishing sucked (unusually) too!

4X
Old 11-18-2013, 09:29 AM

At the very least, I would have told the owners about the dogs. If it were me, I would have a shiny new pair of waders at the owners expense.
Were your buddy's close enough to see all the action?
Glad you are ok. That's a scary situation and reason why I usually have some form of protection on me when I fish. You just never know.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 PM

If I owned dogs that did something like that I would definitely want to know. Also, I'm not sure what the laws are in Tennessee are regarding navigable waterways but, if the SoHo is considered a navigable waterway the dog owners could held liable for the damage that they caused to you.
I'm hoping you got your toe checked out to make sure that it wasn't broken. Being wading fishermen we need our toes.
Maybe being a city boy my outlook is different from yours but, from my perspective allowing dogs to run loose is asking for trouble. Dogs when unrestrained can chase people (they probably believe that they're protecting their territory), harass and attack wildlife and other things.
This could have turned in to big legal issue for the owners. I'm just glad that you weren't seriously hurt.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:07 AM

That's dang scary, and folks who have dogs who act like that need to be held responsible. Glad you weren't seriously hurt.

I carry a .45 with me most times on the river, I love dogs, but would put one in the grave that acted like that towards me.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

I don't leave the house without at least one gun...the dog that made contact with me would be dead...even if I had to Initiate another encounter...similarly I once got tore up by a dog in my college years on a river in PA. Manada creek near Hershey. Great hole...always had a mean dog on the far bank. I got a little too close once. Ripped my waders to shreds...
Old 11-20-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
That's dang scary, and folks who have dogs who act like that need to be held responsible. Glad you weren't seriously hurt.

I carry a .45 with me most times on the river, I love dogs, but would put one in the grave that acted like that towards me.
Wolf, my friend, no one coulda hit that dog with a .45 BEFORE it attacked!
I wasn't upset with the dog. I was upset with the owners.
I waited an hr. for the owners, they didn't show, and I had to get to Knoxville.
Talked to the fella that I rented from and he promised to communicate the problem to the owners.
Punitive damages? Not this kid. Simms have a warranty.
Jim, let's go fishing! You changed your number.
936-1317.

4X
Old 11-21-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourx View Post
I waited an hr. for the owners, they didn't show, and I had to get to Knoxville.
Talked to the fella that I rented from and he promised to communicate the problem to the owners.
936-1317.

4X
I completely agree with the owners being the issue, and also like the not looking for punitive damages. It's just one of those crappy things that happens. 207-1021, buzz me sometime.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourx View Post
936-1317.

4X
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I completely agree with the owners being the issue, and also like the not looking for punitive damages. It's just one of those crappy things that happens. 207-1021, buzz me sometime.
I agree fellas. It is extremely difficult to blame an animal that acts upon natural instinct/cognitive training and not civil obedience. It seems like problems with pets always relate to the ineptitude of their owners.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 PM

If you don't report it....someone else may be a victim and not so lucky. I'd suggest calling animal control and file a report. If they do their job....they will do a site visit and follow up with the owner.

Glad you're okay. Did you lose your rod or any other gear (other than waders)?
Old 11-21-2013, 11:55 PM

I would definitely file a complaint. All bites are supposed to be reported in NC. I would let the local Sheriff or animal control handle it. Like the others have said, if they bit you they will do it again.