Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-17-2013, 01:06 AM

Default Big fun LRO Today

Thanks today to Byron, Daniel, and the LRO crew for a great Saturday morning! I was able to pick up a signed by the author of 100 Trout Streams book, some new flys, hit Elkmont and see some Little River TU chapter friends!. Thanks to all!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 11-17-2013, 08:00 AM

Thumbs up

Bigsur,
That is the beauty of shopping at a true fly shop and not a big box! You actually get treated like a person.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-17-2013, 07:01 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
Thanks today to Byron, Daniel, and the LRO crew for a great Saturday morning! I was able to pick up a signed by the author of 100 Trout Streams book, some new flys, hit Elkmont and see some Little River TU chapter friends!. Thanks to all!

How'd you do on Elkmont?

I had to do water samples and fished Jake's Creek for an hour afterward, but only got 3 bumps all of which were first casts on the pool with most pools being empty. First skunking in a long time With water temps of 38 at Road Prong and only 43 at park headquarters I wasn't expecting much but did want a fish or two. Left my camera at home by accident and for once it didn't even matter

Stopped by LRO on way home with a warm welcome from the staff of LRO and watched Rex Wilson tie some realistic looking stoneflies and chatted with him for a half hour or so. Left and felt guilty on the way home as this was my first visit to LRO where I didn't buy anything

Another upside of the trip was this was the first time I was able to try Watershed permanent dry fly floatant. While I did still have to use some frogs fanny after it hit a fishes mouth, it only took one instead of two applications to get it to float high again. Probably similar to that abolene stuff I have heard many of you trying. While I will have to experiment some more with it (when catching fish), I think it may well be worthy the $5
Old 11-17-2013, 11:38 PM

Tuff day for us too, went with two others, covered a lot of ground but tough sledding. The plus side was picture perfect day, tried to make a positive by trying a wide variety of flys to break the code, lots of misses, few hits. I tried a healthy dose of roadside fishing on Sunday before the rain hit, spooked up one big one, as I went around one side of a boulder he shot around the other side, at least I saw him and verified I can at least find a fish sometimes! The good news is fewer leaves on top of the water and a lot fewer leaf peepers on the road, the park is getting back to the way I like it, the hard core and obsessed!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 11-18-2013, 09:32 AM

AH! I forgot about the event. I was planning on coming! Glad it was nice though. I also went fishing yesterday and didn't have much luck at all. I was pulling out flies I've never even used before trying to figure it out and sadly, I never did.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:51 PM

That's the way they roll. Great shop, good staff top to bottom