Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 12-08-2013, 02:01 PM

Question pack and net question

I hope I'm putting this post in the right place. Does anyone know a good way to carry a net with a Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack? I like to take a pic of any fish i might catch, and I've found that its easier for me to "hold" the fish in a net while getting my camera ready to take a pic. But now that I have my pack, which I love btw, I can't figure out agood way to tote a net. I much prefer to wear thepack as a sling pack so that its out of my way while fishing. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
hNt
Old 12-09-2013, 11:28 AM

I have a FishPond Guide. I wear it as a waist pack. For me there was no easy way to carry a net. I just stick it in the band on my waist. It was a pain in the tail when I needed something and had to move it around front. I would have to take the net out, spin the pack to the front, change flies or tippet etc. spin it back and then stick the net back into the band. With you wearing it as a sling seems to add more problems. Maybe someone will have a good answer for you. By the way I only use mine as a bass or salt pack now, where I don't need a net.
Lynn
Old 12-09-2013, 11:48 AM

I have used everything from vests, to Fishpond chestpacks and for the last year have used the Orvis sling pack. The situation was similiar to yours, I ended up attaching a carabiner to a place on shoulder strap, with long 2ft or better bungee cord (available everywhere). I throw the net over my left shoulder, and when I need the net I just follow the black cord up the shoulder strap with my hand (after a while you won't even look) and flip around or over my shouler. If you can find a place for the carabiner should work on your bag too. I am convert to sling packs now and will not go back after a year of heavy use in all kinds of water.

(As a side note, if no place to attach on shoulder strap, just get a piece of webbing, make a loop, insert a D ring in loop and have someone sew onto shoulder strap with heavy thread (a seamstress or dry cleaners probably could do that for a small charge.)

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Last edited by bigsur; 12-09-2013 at 01:01 PM..
Old 12-09-2013, 01:28 PM

Ben Walters at Eastern Fly Outfitters showed me a scissor-like, folding net that is pretty cool for packing. It is made by someone in the Tri-Cities area. Might be worth a phone call.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
Ben Walters at Eastern Fly Outfitters showed me a scissor-like, folding net that is pretty cool for packing. It is made by someone in the Tri-Cities area. Might be worth a phone call.
The guys name is Nes Lavotch(sp). He's a guide also. I bet if you google him it'll show his contact info. I had one of his open ended nets and lost it on the SoHo. Definately going to get another one.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
I have used everything from vests, to Fishpond chestpacks and for the last year have used the Orvis sling pack. The situation was similiar to yours, I ended up attaching a carabiner to a place on shoulder strap, with long 2ft or better bungee cord (available everywhere). I throw the net over my left shoulder, and when I need the net I just follow the black cord up the shoulder strap with my hand (after a while you won't even look) and flip around or over my shouler. If you can find a place for the carabiner should work on your bag too. I am convert to sling packs now and will not go back after a year of heavy use in all kinds of water.

(As a side note, if no place to attach on shoulder strap, just get a piece of webbing, make a loop, insert a D ring in loop and have someone sew onto shoulder strap with heavy thread (a seamstress or dry cleaners probably could do that for a small charge.)

Bigsur,
I have a similar setup and it drives me crazy trying to hook the net back to the magnet.

The best setup I have ever used is a carabiner-type clasp hooked to my wader belt with a short magnet/bungee. It worked great with some tweaking. I need to recreate that setup and post a picture.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-10-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Bigsur,
I have a similar setup and it drives me crazy trying to hook the net back to the magnet.

The best setup I have ever used is a carabiner-type clasp hooked to my wader belt with a short magnet/bungee. It worked great with some tweaking. I need to recreate that setup and post a picture.
Yes I have never liked the magnet setup, with the one above in my pic I just snap the loop of the bungee thru the carabiner and never disconnect till done for the day. The bungee is long enough to extend well past the length of my arm so I never have to disconnect just swing net around or lift over my shoulder and net the fish. The only issue i have expeirenced is catching the fish in the first place!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:28 PM

hungNtree,

After much experimenting with the above and more,…. below is the goto for me. I attach it with a Carabener or D-Ring to my vest, jacket, waist pack belt or hiking pack.

Very moveable from one to the other, extends to your needs while preparing for pics then locks in place while your making your hike in or out.

Gear Keeper Net Retractor - Purchased 2 so I always have a back up.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=4p41

It hasn't failed me yet.

Breck
Old 12-11-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck View Post
hungNtree,

After much experimenting with the above and more,…. below is the goto for me. I attach it with a Carabener or D-Ring to my vest, jacket, waist pack belt or hiking pack.

Very moveable from one to the other, extends to your needs while preparing for pics then locks in place while your making your hike in or out.

Gear Keeper Net Retractor - Purchased 2 so I always have a back up.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=4p41

It hasn't failed me yet.

Breck
Breck,
I have wondered about those...It looks like they have a good rating. I may have to put one of them on my Christmas Wish List.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-11-2013, 04:22 PM

hmmm.......

Dear Santa;

If Little River Outfitters, will let me use the Orvis spend $50 pay $25 coupon I get every five days , I than could buy two for the price of one and maybe give one as a gift!